PC to Pal TV - Why is 60hz in B&W?

O

Obuggrit

I've hooked up a computer to a UK TV using an S-video (and composite ) cable and a scart adaptor. With a 50hz refresh rate I can get a pretty crisp and colourful picture on the TV, but with 60hz it's in B&W. I know the TV can handle 60hz in colour because I use my Gamecube on it - both RGB and composite signals give colour.

What exactly is going on?

Thanks

Could be one of two things. What brand of TV is it, and how old?

It sounds like your TV supports PAL-60 but not NTSC. The computer will be outputting NTSC to the TV. PAL-60 and NTSC are both quite different, same speed/refresh rate, but PAL-60 is more of a stepping stone in terms of compatibility.

What type of signal are you sending to the TV? Composite or S-Video? If it's S-Video, make sure the TV supports it - sometimes you need to send it to the second SCART socket and tell the TV in its menu system that the incoming signal is in S-Video format.

O

Obuggrit

Is there any way to get a PC to use PAL-60? Is it PAL M? I really need 60hz because just about all of my videos are NTSC recorded

I tried both composite and S-video. The TV accepts s-video through the scart connection - seems to work ok, there's far less colour bleed than with composite.

unique

your video card might support different types of pal, just play about with the settings and see what works.

also, some i think some tv's will only accept ntsc via one of the scart sockets, and will play b/w via the other socket, so try plugging in to the same socket as you had success with your gamecube, and then just go through the different settings on the graphics card to see whats best. then you can swap the leads again and see if it makes a difference

O

Obuggrit

I've tried both sockets now. NTSC doesn't seem to work on either. I presume a fully RGB wired cable will work, but it's a lot of hassle and not guaranteed as far as I know.
The Radeon 7000 I have doesn't directly support Pal-M or Pal-60, it needs some BIOS modification to do this and I don't know how - can't find any instructions for Radedit. Anyone got any info on Radedit please?

Trending threads

Top Bottom