PC to LG OLED via Denon AMP 120fps, VRR, HDR issue.

Hi

Im trying to get my PC to output 120fps with HDR but the Nvidia control panel does not show the TV like in video below.

I am able to get 120fps without HDR in windows display settings, but to get HDR, VRR and instant game response you have to make correct settings in the control panel.

Can anyone advise on how to get control panel to show the settings as shown in video?

Thanks

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Is the AMP capable of 120hz at 4k ?
what model is the amp ?

if not your best net would be connect straight to the TV from the PC then send the sound from the tv the amp over ARC (audio return channel )

Is the AMP capable of 120hz at 4k ?
what model is the amp ?

if not your best net would be connect straight to the TV from the PC then send the sound from the tv the amp over ARC (audio return channel )
Hi

Yes, I can get 4K working fine. AMP is Denon 3700. I can’t connect straight to TV due to placement issues and cable from AMP to TV is hidden, so I don’t want another cable go visibly across floor.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi

Yes, I can get 4K working fine. AMP is Denon 3700. I can’t connect straight to TV due to placement issues and cable from AMP to TV is hidden, so I don’t want another cable go visibly across floor.

Do you have one of the up to date models, initial products were sold with a chipset not capable of DSC (display stream compression) preventing 4K 120hz.

This issue affected all of Denon and Marantz's 2020 AVRs but Denon models with serial numbers that end with 70001 onwards should be bug-free, as they boast an upgraded HDMI 2.1 chip.

What Nvidia GPU do you have, it must be an RTX-3xxx series to do 10-bit RGB with HDR via HDMI.

Also there are cable length limitations to doing 4K 120Hz RGB HDR, though you should still have the option.

Do you have one of the up to date models, initial products were sold with a chipset not capable of DSC (display stream compression) preventing 4K 120hz.

What Nvidia GPU do you have, it must be an RTX-3xxx series to do 10-bit RGB with HDR via HDMI.

Also there are cable length limitations to doing 4K 120Hz RGB HDR, though you should still have the option.
Got RTX3080

I tried connectIng to my TV and get same issue.

This is a problem with Nvidia control panel. I can’t make the necessary adjustments for VRR and HDR at 120fps as the settings aren’t showing.

next010

Distinguished Member
I tried connectIng to my TV and get same issue.

This is a problem with Nvidia control panel. I can’t make the necessary adjustments for VRR and HDR at 120fps as the settings aren’t showing.

Then its probably a windows problem if its EDID (display features) detection is broken. Windows and GPU driver scan the EDID of the display then builds a software EDID from this.

If a clean install of windows is an option I would do that.

If your not keen on a format of the system (make a system backup)
1) Connect PC to AVR.
2) Use DDU to purge the nvidia driver as it also deletes monitor software EDID's (what it calls present and non-present monitors make sure thats checked in options).
3) After reboot install the Nvidia driver and hope it correctly scans the AVR.

If that fails another option is use CRU to alter the software EDID, this will expose the options in the GPU control panel allowing you to force them on assuming they work with the AVR.

You may have to use another PC/laptop to scan the AVR with CRU then take screengrabs of all the values in extension blocks. Then re-create those values on your gaming PC in CRU, once done exit and run restart64 to apply it.

For nvidia control panel you want
* use nvidia color settings
*10-bit RGB
*3840x2160 120hz
* G-Sync enabled for fullscreen exclusive only.
Then go to window settings display and turn on HDR.

For optimal g-sync usage you will want in nvidia control panel
  • set max fps to 117
  • set vertical sync to on
In games internal settings
  • disable any FPS limiter were present
  • disable vsync control
  • fullscreen exclusive

This ensures the nvidia driver takes over control, the 3 fps limit is to take into account the variance of FPS as its not always perfect and to avoid vsync based input lag as g-sync disengages at 120hz and vsync activates which adds input lag. So at 117Hz your still running in g-sync mode all the time.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom