PC to LCD question - Which cable

Member 373730

Novice Member
Hi,

I don't mean to rain on your parade but the VGA to component cable will only work if your card supports this, most do NOT

S-video should be ok for watching films etc, but for the web and documents it may be unreadable.

Do your TV's have HDMI? As a cheap DVI card can be easy used over DVI>HDMI.

Best Regards

Chris

$lim$hady

Hi,

Do your TV's have HDMI? As a cheap DVI card can be easy used over DVI>HDMI.

Best Regards

Chris

Thanks Lindy Tech, I will try the Svideo first, if PQ is fine i will leave it otherwise get the DVI card you suggested.

so i guess i will need a svideo cable and a sound cable (3.5mm) too?

Member 373730

Novice Member
Yes, if your card has S-video out, all you need is an S-video cable and a 3.5mm cable. Sometimes the TV will want 2x phono style inputs however, so you would need a 3.5mm to 2x Phono.

We sell all these cables below, give me a shout if you cannot find what you need.

S-video cables

Audio cables

Chris

$lim$hady

Thanks again,

What would be the best option for best PQ? (hdmi/DVi NA)

Svideo to Scart or Svideo to Svideo.

It will be used on a 50" plasma....

MarkTaylor

What would be the best option for best PQ? (hdmi/DVi NA)

S-video to Scart or S-video to S-video.

S-Video to SCART or S-Video to S-Video are both S-VIdeo so no difference.

SCART is just a connection type.

Do check that your plasma supports S-Video over SCART though as not all do.

Main advantage of going that route is you can get a cable that will take your S-Video and sound sources and combine them into the SCART connector.

Do make sure you get S-Video to SCART not SCART to S-Video as they are not the same.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello $lim$hady

First question has to be WHY?

Unless its the only option for viewing the Source material you want to view using a PC connected via S-Video makes no real sense if you have a large format high resolution display.

What are the Displays you want to view the PC on?

Joe

PS Are you the real one?

$lim$hady

Hello $lim$hady

First question has to be WHY?

Unless its the only option for viewing the Source material you want to view using a PC connected via S-Video makes no real sense if you have a large format high resolution display.

What are the Displays you want to view the PC on?

Joe

PS Are you the real one?

Yeah, this would be the only option for me, i have lots of AVI on my laptop so would like to view them on the plasma, the laptop is a BIG Sony (don’t know the displays). S-Video is the only option unfortunately.

I am not the real Slim but more of the Stan...:devil:

S-Video to SCART or S-Video to S-Video are both S-Video so no difference.

SCART is just a connection type.

Do check that your plasma supports S-Video over SCART though as not all do.

Main advantage of going that route is you can get a cable that will take your S-Video and sound sources and combine them into the SCART connector.

Do make sure you get S-Video to SCART not SCART to S-Video as they are not the same.

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello $lim$hady (or is it Stan...)

A link to the Plasma Display Manual or Tech Spec would be good - someone may be able to suggest something better than S-Video.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom