• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC to imac... is it worth it?

MAGiK

hey all,

right im on a fence at the moment as im at university and already have a kit setup for my PC with a intel core i7 2.93 ghrz 16 gb ddr3 ram 1gb graphics card 2tb hard drive and so on, i currently do computer games art and have to use programs such as adobe photoshop and adobe after effects and 3d modeling package called 3ds max which is only allowed on a widows 7 operating system.

right so i have looked into boot camp and have decided that a mac would for-fill the tech spec for what i want it to do and i love the mac OS way more than windows, so what else will a mac give me over my current PC?

im looking at the top spec i7 imac with the same specs as my PC but with 2gb of graphics power... is it better to get that or is it better to upgrade my graphics card in my pc and then get the cinema display as i love apple displays there a lot better than any of the PC ones ive used...

so what are your thoughts? any PC converts that have a much better experience on an imac? and so on...

thanks in advance

MAGiK

Its what you want that really counts.

You could either sell your PC and buy a mac or you could just currently stick with what you have and get a decent display. The requirements for 3d studio max are here. According to the website: A minimum of 1 GB is recommended for the most complex scenes, shaders, and lighting modes.

Do you have £918 to shell out on a 27" flat panel ?

MAGiK

yeah i do have the cash to upgrade but i was chatting to my mate and he said i might as well buy a imac as after i have speced my comp to take the cinema display it will cost around £1100 as im a student i get a ncie bit of discount so the toped out imac is only £2200 so im thinking of making the leap sooner rather than later :p just wanting to know as well if i have the adobe creative suite on my PC and uninstall will it then install on my imac if i get one? as that costs a bomb :p

thanks

MAGiK

Skyboat

Get Parallels Desktop too, that way you can run Windows apps inside OS X and Autodesk fully supports their software inside it too!

yeah i do have the cash to upgrade but i was chatting to my mate and he said i might as well buy a imac as after i have speced my comp to take the cinema display it will cost around £1100 as im a student i get a ncie bit of discount so the toped out imac is only £2200 so im thinking of making the leap sooner rather than later :p just wanting to know as well if i have the adobe creative suite on my PC and uninstall will it then install on my imac if i get one? as that costs a bomb :p

thanks

MAGiK

Your current key won't move over to the mac. A long, long time ago Adobe did give you dual serials. Your going to have to buy another student serial for your Adobe stuff on your mac.

How about getting a 27-inch iMac from the refurb store. This will then allow you to use the monitor via your pc. So that means you get the best of both worlds. You get a nice screen for your pc and you also get a mac. You also don't shell out for new software either.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom