PC to HDTV - Cables (VGA or DVI...)

kaidiez

Established Member
Reaction score
recently I got my new HDTV and want to connect my pc to it as my xbox cant play mkv files and is getting to be a pain converting them.

I originally thought of a switcher box but they seem expensive for what they are. I already have 2 screens for my computer and unless there is an easy way to add a third one I will be using splitter cables. But, do i split the vga or the dvi?? The vga would probably be cheaper I reckon, depending on the quality of the cables. But i presume picture quality would be better with the dvi? If i go down this route I will get dvi splitter and a dvi to hdmi cable.

So basically, is it worth the extra money?

Hello kaidiez

If the choice of Inputs on the HD Ready TV is VGA or HDMI then VGA is likely to be your better option when the Source is a PC.

The HDMI Input is likely to only accept a limited rang of 'Video' resolution signals and may additionally apply over-scan to some or all signals Input via HDMI.

Look through the TV's User Guide to find out what it will and wont accept via HDMI.

Some folk advocate using/trying out a passive 'Splitter' cable for VGA, DVI and or HDMI – the results with these devices can be variable; be prepared to have to fork out for a decent Active Splitter (Distribution Amp) from the likes of Kramer, Gefen or CYP.

Joe

If you have a dedicated PC DVI on the TV then that would be my choice. If not then VGA.

My TV has DVI but its actually used by 2 different inputs on the TV - HD and PC, both inputs accept different resolutions, if I change PC resolution and lose a signal, switching to the other option normally does the trick.

Since it's only a tenner, you'd only be wasting a tenner. DVI signals cannot be split if you need to run two devices, unless you want really awful quality (or worse problems). If you're only using the splitter to run one of two devices at a single time, then it saves replugging and may work.

Since it's only a tenner, you'd only be wasting a tenner. DVI signals cannot be split if you need to run two devices, unless you want really awful quality (or worse problems). If you're only using the splitter to run one of two devices at a single time, then it saves replugging and may work.

You learn something new every day :rolleyes:. Ignore me :suicide:

Jez

I'm running this cable from my PC to TV (37" Tosh) Cant comment on quality as this is the only HDMI cable I have used, be nice to test it against a expensive cable. I was told to use HDMI instead of VGA as my TV cant do 1080p using VGA.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130516

Its only £5.25 for the 5m or £3.99 for 2m

Picture quality looks good, I can play 720p and 1080p films using this cable.
Planet Earth looks amazing.

:)

Hello Mattski2007

DVI to HDMI is pretty straight forward – in this case though you would also need to ensure the DVI Input on the PC monitor support 1080p and he still requires to 'split' the Digital (DVI) Output from the PC.

Joe

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/cata...e=product_info&cPath=148_198&products_id=1987

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/cata...e=product_info&cPath=148_176&products_id=1366

I was thinking of getting those, the tv is the Sammy LE40F86 and in the book it says VESA supports 1920x no idea what the vesa is? the splitter says it will be fine under 10m, the cable will be 3 or 5m.

What diff does it make if there is 2 devices at the same time? the signal is just split regardless of if 2 devices need it or not, I would have thought if it was going to be a problem the splitter would be the cause?

Hello kaidiez

Your DVI port outputs a fixed voltage – now 'split' it in two and you have two half voltage signals; will your Displays be happy????

Use the passive Splitter cable to drive one or other Displays and you ought to be fine – try and drive both Displays simultaneously and things can get messy.

Most Graphics Cards are designed to 'drive' a relatively short Output cable - now 'split' the signal with a passive splitter and then stick long cables on one or both outputs of the splitter and your introducing more possibilities for signal degradation.

Assuming the signal you want to Output via DVI works into both Displays when you have a Direct connection between the PC and each Display adding in a suitable DVI Distribution Amp will be fine.

If you find one of your Displays wont support the signal format you would like to use then you have to find a common signal format both Displays support.

Joe

tbh i still dont get how it makes a diff if there are 2 displays being shown unless the monitors draw an output instead of having one pushed to it.

is only £30 though so will prob just get it and see how it goes, if dont work properly ill either get an amp for the signal or do the unthinkable and switch cables when i want to use the tv or monitor :( Am only planning on using one or the other tbh, as my monitor is only a 22 widescreen and will want to use the tv's native res when I use it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom