PC to dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ShimSham, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ShimSham

ShimSham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm sick and tired of my 6 year old PC and I am determined to buy a new one. I will definitely get something with a TV out. But my tv has only scart inputs.

Do graphic cards these days still have s-video tv outs? As I could easily connect this to my dvd recorder to display on my tv.

If not would I be able to connect a hdmi or dvi output from my PC to my dvd recorder so I could then watch the output via my TV?

2. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    A lot of graphics cards still do have s-video output but you'll need to check the spec of the card before ordering as this is now being dropped in favour of hdmi/dvi. Neither hdmi or dvi will work with s-video or a scard socket.

The s-video output looks quite bad from a computer. If you only want to view a movie file it might be ok, but the desktop doesn't look very good as the standard tv resolution is so low, a lot lower than any monitor you can buy nowadays.

3. ShimSham

ShimSham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your reply Papua. My dvd recorder has a hdmi socket, would that make any difference?

4. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The hdmi socket would be for AV out only. If your tv can't take hdmi or dvi input then you won't be able to use it. you can't plug the computer hdmi to your dvd hdmi as they are both outputs.