1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to CRT via Svideo

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jon stallard, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I want is some basic info. I've tried TV Tool, Powerstrip and concluded that I don't actually know what I'm doing!

I can configure flat panels from the vga socket on my PC's graphic card no problem, I have a 17" widescreen LCD that's a cinch to play around with settings wise.

But widescreen CRT via Svideo?

I can never get perfect 'circles' (icons) when I try for a widescreen setting, they are always squashed to some degree or other. 4.3 ratio is perfect of course and I can change resolution to suit if I want bigger icons or not. But 16.9? Forget it.

To start with, should the CRT be set to auto or 16.9 for screen aspect? Powerstrip I see also has a radio buttons under one of the screens for aspect ratio ranging from 'any' to some wierd setting but includes 16.9. I'm tending to use 'auto' and 'any' most of the time but the aspect ratio never changes from 4.3 on my TV.

I hope to get a larger LCD display soon but I want to configure this TV first. For the record, it's pretty standard LG 28" flatscreen that comet sold off with a package a couple of years ago.

Any help greatfully recieved.

2. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a quote of a post I got off the Green Button (edit: http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=47&MessageID=101084). I think it was talking about a 720x576 resolution.

"The resolution you're using is not widescreen. It needs to be 16:9 or very close to that. So take the 720 and multiply it by 9/16 (.5625) and you'd get 405, and yours is 576. I would recommend not going much lower than 960X540 or maybe 852X480 (common low end plasma resolution). My PC is 960X540 which is an exact 16:9 resolution."

Now this surprised/interested me, because I used 800x600 when I was connected by s-video to 32inch widescreen crt and tried 1024x768. I must admit I didn't bother with the setup.

I've now got my vga-scart operational again and I'm using the 1024x576 and I've used 720x576 resolutions which according to the calc above is correct for the 1024x576, but not for the 720 one.

With the 1024 res I am losing about 5% of the left hand side, but it looks okay.

It sure is confusing.

Sneals2000 where are you mate? Time for your swansong.

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    S-Video can only output on a few standard 4:3 resolutions, powerstrip doesn't allow customisation beyond the capabilities of the onboard TV OUT chip. The only way you will get a true widescreen resolution is via a VGA to RGB Scart cable. If you are happy with S-Video your TV image will always be stretched if you want to see the entire desktop. There's a couple of options available, zoom setting on the TV which would mean the desktop cut off top and bottom but movie playback would be fine, stretch setting on TV which would make the desktop.. well stretched but you can use a suitable program like zoomplayer, media player classic etc to output a anamorphic widescreen mode that will give the correct aspect. The later allows you to see the entire desktop.

4. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon and stlic, half the time I'm just looking for a prod in the right direction.

Got home last night and decided to plug the vga and svideo connections into my single 17" lcd widescreen, kind of turn it into two monitors for a direct comparison. To my surprise, the nVidia set up screen detected both inputs as seperate screens so had a bit of fun directly comparing the two inputs.

I'd come to the conclusion that it's all down to the ratio of the screen resolution so played about with the height first then multiplied it by 1.77 to get the width. I'd read somewhere else that an Svideo connection couldn't give true widescreen but the bottom line was that my circular icons looked.... circular so was happy with that. I just used the resolutions that the nVidia set up menu gave me - for some reason there appeared to be a lot more than the previous night, probably due to the sheer possibilites I was giving my PC with this TV.

Switching between svideo and vga is a bit like trying to look at a picture underwater (svideo) and the same picture on a bright day with your best reading glasses on (vga)! There is no contest is there.

So I switched off the pc, unplugged the monitor and moved the whole thing into the living room and reconnected to my TV. If this was hollywood, I'd now say 'it worked first time!' but it isn't and it didn't :)

Strangely, I not only had more standard resolutions to play with but found one that worked after a bit of playing around. I could read most of the text too on the TV. Anyway, I settled down to watch a DVD and dreamed of watching it via a DVI socketed TV :thumbsup:

The VGA to Scart looks promising mind, found this link which seems to make the lead a pretty simple affair. Any thoughts?

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

Cheers.

5. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you do follow that link, you end up back on a thread on this forum, which I'm sure many of you already know about and the vga to scart lead thread. So sorry for the repetition.

6. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so is there any agreement on the best lead to use when connecting to a CRT? i'm trying to work out which graphics card and leads to buy and i intend to connect windows media center 2005 to a 32 " CRT. I have RGB Scart inputs and a component input available (don't want to use s-video input as it's at the front of the tv so at the least will need an s-video to scart lead) . . . any suggestions?

7. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find that the suggested vga-scart lead is actually using the component inputs on the scart lead (which btw is why it won't work on some scart sockets that aren't connected up for component.) So I guess the component inputs are just for convenience.

I am back using my vga-scart on a Toshiba 32 inch crt and though I had got used to s-video I am astounded at the quality I am getting on my tv. I cannot tell the difference between direct input from the cable stb to scart on the tv and the same via my pc using the uhf output lead from the stb through the pvr150mce tv cards. Astonishing.

I use a radeon 9600 video card. Cheap and quiet.

8. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well since i also have a toshiba 32", and a pvr150mce, and am planning to put an stb through it, i think i should go for the same option! did you buy the vga-scart lead or make it?

9. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the lead thread, must say I'm using a Svideo lead and the picture is pretty poor compared to the RGB signal from my Sony freeview box (which is in my opinion, the best TV picture I've ever seen.

But thanks to the VGA to Scart RGB thread, I can now see the error of my ways (or Svideo cable). Unfortunately for me, I chose to go PCI express on my new Mother board and a 6600GT graphics card which is not, as I understand it, suitable for this scart lead mod. Then again, I hope to be using the PCI e on a different TV soon anyway.

But for now, I'd change the graphics board in favour of a radeon 9600 board but I can't say I've seen one for PCI express. Which also means no AGP slot for which there seems to be milli...... er quite a few cards :) Or can I use one of these: Saphire ATI Radeon X300SE? (which I can get as a PCI e card apparently)

Otherwise, my impatience will mean I'll be forced to rebuild my other desktop PC to suit as that does have an AGP slot...... hmmm, just seen a rather nice HTPC case...... :thumbsup:

10. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was planning to go for that same card (Saphire ATI Radeon X300SE) so would also like to know whether RGB to Scart would work with it . . .

11. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on, what's these dangly cables hanging out the back of my din adaptor which plugs into the din socket on the back of my 6600GT card? Why component connections of course :clap:

So can you convert component to RGB? Yes you can by handing over £89.99 here http://www.syncblaster.com/APTUS2_C2RGB.html :thumbsdow

I also notice several links to this forum on the same subject (Does everything end up back at an old thread on this forum?)

At the moment, I would have to buy a new graphics card in order to use a modified cable/plug arrangement for vga to scart. Would this give me very good results for an outlay of about £50? Assuming I can get a Radeon card for PCI-e use (I've a feeling that the X300 etc cards could be the PCI-e versions of the 9600 AGP cards???) or spend twice as much on an adaptor (unless they can be found cheaper) but there is a fair amount of circuitry involved and that's not usually good.

Or of course, I could simply spend a couple of thousand on a decent LCD display with DVI inputs and have done with it! Except I don't have a couple of thousand, a minor matter :)