PC to AV Receiver?

Mawashi

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As the title says I've been in to pc gaming for a while and mostly I'll just use a headphone to listen to games and music but recently I stumbled into AV stuff and it's been eye opening or should I say ear.

I was looking to buy a sound bar or simple speaker for my 55 TV and was shocked at the prices of sound bars and how cheap most sounded... apologies to soundbar lovers.

Long story short I was very impressed by a mid range AV receiver and speaker setup a Denon AVR-X1700H + Q Acoustics 3020i (I know some of you might think its low end but it's a huge upgrade for me).

So, I thought why not do the same for my PC... I'm running a ASUS TUF RTX 3060Ti OC 8GB graphics card to a 32 monitor and want to know if I could use a 2nd hand AV receiver like a Onkyo TX-NR609 and pair it up to some floor speakers? If so how can I do it please as it's all very new to me.

Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Mawashi

Either use optical, coaxial or hdmi output from your pc into a avr so yeah it's doable I'm using a avr with a pc in second system

If the monitor you are using is a high spec one, I feel the graphics card may have communication issues with the older Onkyo due to the resolutions you use for the monitor. I'm guessing the 32" monitor is connected via displayport and as this is a connection I have never used, I'm not sure how it interacts with HDMI for an older resolution which the onkyo would use. I would say that this before you jump down this route, I would ask in the gaming threads to see if anyone has issues with running HDMI and Displayport at different resolutions. If they're fine, then you have your answer

As the graphics card doesn't have a Optical TosLink output, I would try to run down the HDMI output as this is what the graphics card is good for

he monitor you are using is a high spec one, I feel the graphics card may have communication issues with the older Onkyo due to the resolutions you use for the monitor. I'm guessing the 32" monitor is connected via displayport and as this is a connection I have never used, I'm not sure how it interacts with HDMI for an older resolution which the onkyo would use. I would say that this before you jump down this route, I would ask in the gaming threads to see if anyone has issues with running HDMI and Displayport at different resolutions. If they're fine, then you have your answer

As the graphics card doesn't have a Optical TosLink output, I would try to run down the HDMI output as this is what the graphics card is good for

Use two outputs, one for video direct to monitor and another for audio directly into avr

Use two outputs, one for video direct to monitor and another for audio directly into avr
If there no issues I completely agree. But it all depends upon the monitor I guess and what input its using plus as I've said, I've not used displayport and I'm unsure if the different resolutions will cause any issues with the graphics card

Hi Guys,

Much appreciate all your replies. Yeah I'm thinking of the same issues of the monitor and amp but instead of hdmi can I just use audio cables.
I'm really new at this so I hope I'm not boring u guys to death.

rccarguy2 and ShanePJ, I shall ask the gaming forum but the double outputs could be the best solution.

Many thanks guys for all your help!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom