1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to AV receiver connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Darren Blake, May 8, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Maybe this should go in the HCPC forum, but I think its more amp related than PC related...

Because of the distance from my HC setup to the screen I only want one signal cable (componant) running from my AV reciever to the screen.

I also want to connect my PC to the screen. My intended plasma screen has 2x 15 pin RGB monitor inputs, so I could run a second cable direct from the PC's 15 pin monitor socket to the screen, but I would rather utilise a free input on the the AV reciever.

So what is the best way to connect a PC to an AV reciever?

I have already fallen into the trap of thinking that RGB and component are the same thing, so my original plan of getting a 15 pin to 3 phono RBG cable and using the component input on the AVR has gone out the window - or has it? I'm still not quite sure. Is there a way to do this?

My graphics card has S-video out, which would be the simplest way to get the signal into the AVR, but would the quality suffer? I will be using the PC for "serious" applications, so I need good definition of fine lines and text with no "bleed".

Finally, when push comes to shove, since the screen has a "proper" monitor connector anyway, should I just bite the bullet and use that and suffer two different video sources and an extra cable?

For information the AVR will probably be a Denon 1803 or something of a similar spec.

TIA.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Two direct video leads to the plasma will give better picture quality than using video switching, particularly on budget AV amps. Bite the bullet....:(

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For serious work a direct well screened VGA cable is the way to go try lecktropakcs and keene for cables, shopping around should help bring down the price.

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers guys. Looks like I'll be using a dedicated monitor feed direct from the PC, and component from the AVR for everything else.

Is the Denon 1803 considered a "budget" AV amp? if I can afford it I guess it must be! ;)

Are there any AV receivers that allow you to connect a 15 pin RGB into them? I know that Hitachi media box that comes with the 42PD3000 does, but that forces you to use a short (2m?) DVI cable to connect to the screen and I need about 6m separation.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Denon 1803 is budget but good budget, a S?h 3802 might be better value long term seem to going for £350 ish. i dont think any av amp hasve a vga cpability, but Video processors do they are very expensive though