1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc to amp sound out

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by dennis, Jun 5, 2004.

1. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    why is it so hard to get sound from my audigy2 to output to my pioneer amp?
    i bought a cable that has rca mini plug to two phonos that was supposed to do the job,result? silence,i put mini plug into digital out on card and phonos into spare inputs on amp set it to digital out on card ,ive tried everything to get this to work,can someone help using idiot proof language :lease:

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    have you checked the manual for your Pioneer ?

As a beginner I had a similar problem with my Denon amp..

The digital inputs are assignable, i was plugged into input 1 which was assigned to a different source than the 'DVD' button i was pressing on the amp..

might not be the case with your Pioneer, but worth checking the manual I'd say..

3. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    thanks dude,i think i know what you mean,i'll try it :thumbsup:

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm assuming your amp is a 5.1 Home Theater type here.

OK, the mini-jack to 2 phono lead isn't the lead you need for this. That lead is for analogue out (ie. the Front L/R minijack socket on your Audigy card).

What you are currenly trying to do is take the digital stream out of the soundcard and inputting it into a spare analogue input (phono pair) on your amp.

For now you could put the minijack end in the Front L/R and set your card up as 2 channel. This way you'd get some suitable sounds, but you really need a standard RCA plug digital interconnect together with an RCA to Mini-Jack adaptor (available from Maplins).

You need to plug the end with the minijack adaptor on into the digital out on the soundcard and the RCA (phono) plug end into the SP/DIF digital RCA socket on the back of your amp. This will be a single RCA socket that will handle the entire stream for 5.1 digitally.

Also note that some digital interconnects are "directional" so as a rule read the writing on the cable and you may see an arrow showing the direction the signal shoule travel. Even if not it will normally be the direction of the writing, so put the RCA/Minijack adaptor on the left end if you are holding it horizotally and reading the writing left to right.

Now, unfortunately once you get all this it's still not totally straight forward....

In You Creative Software (make sure you have the latest version off the Creative Website) find "AudioHQ/Device Controls". It'll be under
    START MENU -> CREATIVE -> SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY2 ZS

In Device Controls you'll see a Tab for "Sampling Rate". You need to set this as 48KHz as the soundcard can't cope with bitrate for 5.1 channels at 96KHz.

Then you should be up & running.

Good luck,

Mark.

5. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    on my amp the digital inputs are optical,the cable i have is mini rca to two phonos,i presume that means i cant output a digital signal to the phonos only analog,so where do i go now/,i give up :confused:

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What model amp is it?

As far as where you go now.... Several options

1/Get a souncard (or motherboard) with an optical out.

2/Get an Amp with an SP/DIF input

3/Use 2 Channel out from your soundard and get your amp to process it as prologic or PLII.

Mark.

{EDIT} I just spotted your amp from your sig file. It seems like a modern one so I'd imagine it MUST have an SP/DIF input. I'd check again if I were you.

BTW. Don't think that optical is necessarily better than RCA, many HT enthusiasts (including me) think the opposite.

7. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    thanks a lot mark,that explains it in simple terms that even i understand.
    the manual shows a rca minijack going to a coaxial input ,on my ax10 i have 4 of these ive never used,is this the one you mean?is coax a digital input ?if so will i get one long enough(about 5 mtrs.
    whats spdif :blush:

been looking on maplin site but cant find one like this,they all seem to end on phonos

8. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    They're the ones! :)

coax means co-axial cable, it doesn't necessarily refer to the type of plug on the end. But in this case, yes they do mean the same thing. What you need specifically is an RCA(Phono) 75 Ohm digital interconnect and that RCA to Mini-Jack converter from Maplins I mentioned earier.

Perhaps someone else can recommend a suitable one?
    Alternatively.... While down Maplins buy a pair of decent (gold) phono plugs and 5M of high quality 75 Ohm Co-ax aerial cable and solder it yourself. This would be by far the cheapest solution, though really depends on your ability to solder on the plugs satisfactorily.

I made a 10M one of these to go between my Freeview box's Digital out and my amp and it worked very nicely.

SP/DIF is another name for the digital single RCA (single phoneo) input. I have no idea what SP/DIF stands for though.

Mark.

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Sorry mate, I should have spotted you were trying to use an analog cable !

Time for some reading lessons maybe... :suicide:

If you want a mini-RCA to RCA Digital Coax at that length, give Mark Grant a shout..
    ( he's got sticky's in the power buys section )

he can make up just about any custom cable you want and they'll blow the pants of anything you can buy.. I'm using one myself and it's superb.

10. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    thanks dude ,cant find one on maplins ,so i'll do what you say :thumbsup:

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It does depend on how important it is to get that very best sound out of the PC.

If it's an HTPC used as the main source for movies etc. then yes, I'd go for a decent one and from what I've heard they don't come any better than Mark Grant interconnects.

Don't underestimate the difference good quality cables makes to the sound.

If it's just to get your regular PC running through your amp then I'd still go the DIY route.

Mark.

12. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a similar setup from m-audio revolution card to AX10i. Personally, I don't think you'll be able to hear any difference between different cables on SP/DIF. (Apart from cables that don't work at all!). I think the cable you've already got will work. The digital signal will be on one of the two phonos.

13. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    ta geeky i'll try anything once

14. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark Ward: S/PDIF stands for Sony/Philips Digital InterFace

One note about the Audigy sound cards - they will only output 5.1 sound from the optical or coaxial digital if you have DVD playback software set to S/PDIF Passthrough. Basic Windows sounds and games will not be sent out as 5.1.

15. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    thank you mark,i can put my dvd software to spdif out,but do you mean even with the right cable games wont output in 5.1 ,what about farcry(dvdgame)would i just get stereo,is it worth doing?
    thanks to all who replied

16. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Ancientgeek..

I'm running a very similar soundcard to yourself, a delta 2496, and a Denon AVR3803 that cost half as much as your Pioneer did ?

I was honestly STUNNED by the difference that switching to Mark's Digital Coax made..

I thought I needed a power amp, turns out i just needed a better Coax...

17. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way to get games to output in 5.1 sound is to get a set of 5.1 speakers for your PC. Creative sell their own digital ones that plug into a weird (proprietary) connector, or you have the standard analogue outputs.

As far as I know, there is only one sound chip that will output Dolby Digital 5.1 for games - the ones on the NForce (Athlon XP) motherboards.