Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pc techs advice please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by spocktra, May 19, 2005.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    On saturday my broadband modem died.New one arrived today and went through the installation with no apparent problems.On rebooting the dsl status arrows are missing from the taskbar and the safely remove hardware icon has taken its place.I have tried all the usual things[always show ,system restore].It doesnt stop anthing from working properly but there is no way of disconnecting from the net[other than unplugging the modem].Also on start up it appears to connect automatically.Cant see anything amiss in the start up page of msconfig either.Anybody had this problem or got any pointers.I would phone my isp but their tech support sucks.

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,894
    Right click in the task bar (not on an icon) , hit customise notifications . Will that do it for you ?
    I am far from a techie , thats as good as it gets from me I'm afraid :rotfl:

John

3. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, the first thing I would suggest is reinstalling the software that came with the modem. Read the instructions carefully to determine whether or not to install the software with or without the modem connected. Follow the instructions exactly.

I would guess the add/remove hardware applet is there because the modem is a USB device (I use a cable modem with a lan connection so I have no experience of a usb bb modem). I would suggest looking in device manager to see if there is an exclamation mark against any of your usb devices. If so, right-click on the device and uninstall it. Then run a new hardware detect. This will then pick up your usb device again and will either automatically install the drivers or will ask you for them. Hopefully when you reinstalled the isp software this will have reinstalled the modem drivers.

If these steps fail to rectify the problem, try a Windows repair. Assuming you have XP, boot up from your Windows installation cd and follow the install process through to the SECOND option to repair as the first will just bring up a dos command box and is really for installing individual files only. After this, you may need to install a LOT of automatic updates inc. SP2 if you don't have it slipstreamed into your XP install cd or on your hard drive or seperate cd.

And good luck.

4. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the replys.Tried your tips and although i have it running better there still apppears to be no on/offline symbol.May just be a quirk of my dsl modem.It runs very hot as well.

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you considered the possibility that the replacement modem may be faulty as well? Can you get hold of another, borrow a friend's or something to try it out or try yours on another pc? Are you sure you're using the correct power adapter for the modem? Is it the same make and model as the original?

When you mentioned the modem running hot that started a few alarm bells ringing. It should NOT run hot.

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,861
    Based on a couple of assumptions - the modem is USB & the OS is XP:

Although no actual dialling takes place there will be a connection for the modem. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections & you should see a connection for the modem under Dial-up. Right click this connection & select Properties. Under the General tab will be a check box to "Show icon in notification area when connected".

7. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The power adaptor came with the modem.It is connected via ethernet cable.I will try what you suggested and then if all fails ring bt and ask for a replacement.Thanks for your help.

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,861
    Same kind of principle for an ethernet modem. You will have a Local Area Connection under LAN rather than Dial-up. The properties of this icon will also have the option to place an icon on the taskbar. You can Disable & Enable the LAN connection with a right click in the same way that you would Connect & Disconnect a modem.

An ethernet modem by it's very nature will conect automatically as you've suggested.

9. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Cheers for the help. :thumbsup: