PC (svideo) to TV (VGA) from noobie

FlummoxedMaid

Standard Member
Hi, I'd like some help connecting my TV to my PC, not because I want to use the tv as a monitor but because the only way I can adjust the H & V on my tv is via a VGA connection. None of the other equipment I have has a VGA socket. TV is Bauer XT32 (yeah I know) & PC is an Elonex Exentia Media Centre with Windows XP. I can't use most of the adjust controls on the tv because they are grayed out.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Have managed to get into the adjust menu, BUT doesn't work - maybe because tv says there is no vga signal? Help pleeeeese!

Last edited:

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
I think you may be approaching this the wrong way around.

Adjusting the H and V via VGA will most probably only affect VGA inputs as the others adjust automatically.

Thus if you currently have no VGA connections you have no need for the H and V adjustments anyway.

What are you trying to achieve and why do you think you need to change these controls?

FlummoxedMaid

Standard Member
I think you may be approaching this the wrong way around.

Adjusting the H and V via VGA will most probably only affect VGA inputs as the others adjust automatically.

Thus if you currently have no VGA connections you have no need for the H and V adjustments anyway.

What are you trying to achieve and why do you think you need to change these controls?
Hi Mark, thanks for replying.

What I'm trying (& failing) to do is move the picture on the tv up.

When we watch a DVD the picture seems to almost curl at the top of the screen and shows squiggly green lines.

Its less noticeable in widescreen format, but then we lose the bottom of the picture.

This doesn't happen when we watch normal telly although the picture still isn't centred properly, especially in widescreen, where it cuts off peoples heads!

So, I thought if I could adjust the H & V it would solve this problem. Really though I think am going to have to get a new telly from a reliable maker :(

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
If the auto-adjust is not working correctly and you can force it to readjust then the odds are you may have a fault on the TV, especially if this is happening on more than one input.

How long have you had the TV ?

Can you also tell us what other sources you have and how they are connected to the TV?

PC's can sometimes give problems, but other devices certainly shouldn't.

Last edited:

FlummoxedMaid

Standard Member
If the auto-adjust is not working correctly and you can force it to readjust then the odds are you may have a fault on the TV, especially if this is happening on more than one input.

How long have you had the TV ?

Can you also tell us what other sources you have and how they are connected to the TV?

PC's can sometimes give problems, but other devices certainly shouldn't.

Hi Mark, sorry so late replying.

TV now not working at all! Came home from work on Sat and couldn't even switch it on, so going to ask our local tv services and repair company to have a look at it. If they have any luck I'll let you know.

Many thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom