1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC surround sound through AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Earmet, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Earmet

Earmet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this is the right forum.

I'm upgrading my PC to put out surround sound. Currently I'm eyeing at Logitech Z-5500 which is supposed to be the best PC-based surround solution. It has DTS decoding, good inputs, is THX certified (I know, hype) and enough power (100W RMS). And it sells for 200GBP/300EUR. But I just found out I might be able to upgrade with real AV receiver and surround speakers for almost the same price.

So, what are my possibilities of finding an AV receiver with DTS decoding along with a 5.1 speaker set for under 275GBP/400EUR (absolute ceiling)? I'd hook it up to my computer which has SPDIF and analog output for sounds. I'd use the system mainly for watching movies and listening to music. 75W is probably more than enough for my needs. I wouldn't use the video part of the receiver since I use my computer monitor to watch movies. Also, it has to be able to understand surround sound from games (Doom III, HL2) and I don't know if that's possible with stand-alone AV receivers.

Thanks for the help!

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    There are a few threads already dealing with this, but the genral thing is for games let the pc do the decoding, and then use the anolouge 5.1 outputs from the pc to amp. Select 5.1input on amp and your done.

You'll need to buy speakers but there are packs with 'real' amps and speakers for about the same price. Although the logitech one is pretty good.

Look around the forum ask general questions about amps and speakers as the connection thing is the only concern when using a pc and no different from any other piece if av.

It will probably have to be a 'fat' amp though as thin ones generaly don't have the anolauge inputs and will only decode DD/DTS and most games won't supply this. But DVD software will simply pass the information from the DVD-Disc to the amp via digital connection and that is pretty much the only time you can use a digital connection from the pc with a av amp.

Some higher model pioneers have a usb port but they are unfortunatly outside your budget. In this case the amp just acts as an overblown usb soundcard, some would call overkill.

3. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i have simple sound card with 6ch ouput and it goes into the 6ch in on my receiver and works a treat. i;ve had this receiver 4 years and it cost about £100 when i bought it so i'm sure for about £250 you could get a receiver and some satellite speakers. for example the tannoy fx5.1 speakers can be had for £100. just add a £150 receiver and you're sorted

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Just get one of htese Yamaha packs and they your done. I use the optical out to my Ymaha and then let rip. Unrealtournament 2004 in full 7 speaker surround using DPL2x kicks butt!! :devil: