PC stopped capturing video

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by eurofighter, Mar 28, 2006.

1. eurofighter

eurofighter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first visit so hello to you all.

I have a Canon MV550i camcorder, which I have had for about 3 to 4 years.

It is not in that regular use but does come out 2 or 3 times a year for those special occasions.

I have just used it to capture some wedding video from a recent wedding and have plugged my camera into the pc in order to download it and transfer it to a disc. I am using the capture card that has been previously used by the camera and also the firewire cable that came with the camera & card. I have also tried another firewire cable from a neighbour and also Nero express to try as an alternative to Presto Video works which came with the camera.

The problem is that when I plug my camera into the pc the software is saying that there is no capture device connected. I would be gratful if someone could throw some light as to where to go next as it is getting very frustrating.

Thanks

2. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Not detecting a device is normally a device or device driver issue. If the maera is plugged into the mains and turned on (to vcr mode not camera) then the PC would normally detect it. As you have tried a couple of cables that is probably not the problem. This leaves the PC card (is the firewire port on it's own car, mobo or soundcard ?) or the camera. The latter is unlikely I think so I would reinstall the drivers that came with the camera as a starting point/ I'm assuming you are running Win XP SP2 .

Ray

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Ray,
    Ive posted about this elsewhere
    With firewire , Ive assumed up till now that the OHCI drivers ( for firewire) normally come with windows and will not normally come with the camcorder unless its capture is via usb where specific device drivers are nessesary. This is not to say they cant get corrupt. This should show as an exclamtion mark beside it in devices manager and the drivers can be refresh or updated all within windows

4. eurofighter

eurofighter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked the device manager and the OHCI device has no marks against it, when I select it's properties it is showing that the device is working correctly. I am pretty sure that I have not got a disk for the camera.

I have just tried using a USB cable into the front of the PC from the camcorder and still I cannot get the computer to recognise the camcorder.

There is a facility to update the driver by right clicking the properties, would it be a good idea to try that?

Any further help greatly appreciated

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Just to get this clear.
    The camcorder is on, firewire connects from it to the PC and there is no response from the PC.
    I dont think a driver update is required. If the fire wire card is not intergrated to the motherboard it may be worth opening it up to see that it hasnt worked itself slightly loose although as you say it shows in device manager so that is a long shot
    It may be worth looking at the camcorders menu to see if output from the firewire has been turned off in error.
    Some camcorders will only allow you output av or dv but not both simultaneously.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    Have you done any editing since XP SP2 was installed?
    If not then you may well have the known problem where SP2 sets the speed of firewire too slow for capture. More details and instructions on how to fix the fault can be found in This thread.

Mark.

7. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just to isolate the problem further (as you have already tried 2 cables) can you attach to another PC to rule out the camera being the issue or borrow another camera and attach this to your PC. This should help pinpoint the problem area.

Ray

8. eurofighter

eurofighter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes to all of the above.

I have had a look through the camera menu and cannot see any facility to turn off the firewire output, however that's not to say that it isn't there!! Will post after the weekend, when hopefully I will have eliminated a few other things.

Thanks for all the help up to now folks.

I am hoping to get access to my neighbours laptop hopefully over the weekend & also to try his camcorder

9. eurofighter

eurofighter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right then, I have tried my camcorder on my neighbours pc and the pc fails to recognise the camera. I used the USB connection as his pc did not have a firewire connection, even so it did not show the camera as being connected to his pc.

His pc was a Dell laptop, that's all I know.

:thumbsdow

10. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Unfortunately ,for usb you may have to install drivers as it may not automatically be recognized as a capture device ( same sort of thing as webcams). unlike with firewire