1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC start up problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sapper, Jun 13, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    One of my PC's (HP Home SP") has stated to crash on boot up, making me start up in safe mode.

On slecting system restore, its fine for a few hours, before it crashes, and the whole process starts again.

what diagnostic softeare is there to help identify the problem?

Adrian

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the m$ crash analasys toolL http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    It could be overheating (common now the weather is gettign warmer) - run the burnin test available at http://www.passmark.com and a motherboard temp monitoring program (on normally comes with your motherboard/PC - if not google for MBM5)

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Cheers will do.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    When did you last defragment your hard disc?

I've sorted out a fair few PC's over the years that have continually rebooted themselves for no reason and would only boot into 'safe mode', simply by defragmenting the HDD. In most cases, but not all, this has been on Win 98 & ME PC's.
    After the defrag I normally run Norton Systemworks to fix any other problems, before returning the PC to its owner. On one occassion though I had to put the HDD into my PC as I could not get it to boot, even in safe mode. Once the defrag was completed the PC booted fine!

Mark.

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks...

This was the first thing I did, did a disk clean up and a defrag. It seems to be more stable now but I guess in the bear future a re-install with a more modern windows XP would be best, rather than a pre SP1 release.

what I have noticed though is tht a 'local disk' come sup as unavaialable, bit not sure which disk it is refering to! the two hard disks seem to be operating, as do the two cd/dvd rewriters.

As i said a re-install is the way I think its been 18 months or more

Adrian

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    A clean install of the OS should give you no end of performance improvements. I try to get this done on my PC about every 6 months, but it normally ends up being more like every 12.
    Not having all the XP updates should not affect how stable the PC is, as most of them address security issues. Don't you run the auto Windows update? This will give you all the service packs etc, but you install them bit by bit rather than in one massive install.

As for the unavailable disc - do you have a card reader on the PC? I have a compact flash USB card reader that is assigned a drive letter by XP and unless there is a card in the reader it is shown as unavailable. Or perhaps an MP3 player etc that is installed but not connected. Other than that it could be a bad partition.

Mark.