PC Speakers with Headphone/Microphone

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by sleepyone, Aug 17, 2006.

1. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Title says it really, i'm getting fed up having to crawl round the back of my PC to unplug the main speakers to put my headset in.

I'm looking for cheap-ish (under £50) speakers that allow me to plug my headset into it.

The headset uses 2 3.5mm plugs. 1 for the sound and 1 for the boom mike.

Or alternatively i suppose I could buy a USB headset to replace my platronics one.

Any suggestions for either?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I have just invested in a quality headset and don't bother with speakers these days. The quality is superior to any PC speaker sytem on the market imo and is a lot more imersive whilst playing games etc.
    The other alternative to your dilema would be to get a usb headset and leave your speakers plugged in all the time;) Switching them off when you want to use your headset.

edit: sorry read all of your post and you answered your own question:blush:

3. lightbulb

lightbulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I had the same problem so I brought the mic and audio-out connections up from my computer to the desk using some old 3.5mm male-to-male connector cable and bunging female-female 3.5mm connectors on the end. Now I just plug my headphones in when needed otherwise, I just plug the speakers in, all from the desk. :)

Cheaper than speakers but if you are in the market for speakers anyway, go with it. :thumbsup:

4. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Top notch lightbulb, hadn't thought of that.

I would probably have gone with the suggestion but erily the mike on my headset gave up the ghost last night. My mate says it made me sound like Peter Frampton (only for those over a certain age that one :))

Think i'll go with Hawklord and forgo the speakers, guess im on the lookout for a quality headset now.

Mind if i ask what you got Hawklord?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if you want 5.1 then try the Medusa headphones....

if you can cope with more basic stereo headphones then i suggest Logitech as a good but not too pricey and reliable setup....they do USB models around the £30 price point which work just nicely....their mics are top notch and you never have problems getting people to hear you......

6. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I got 2 Logitech Z-5500's, it's got ports for headphones, line-in, analog front, back and centre. Plus 2 digital connections, one coax and one spdif.

These speakers are perfect for you! :rotfl:

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I've been on the hunt for a quality headset for years tbh.It all depends on how much money you wish to spend. I found the best budget pair to be Beyerdynamic DT234 pros.

http://www.studiospares.com/pd_410510_BEYER DT234 PRO HEADSET.htm

I did try the medusa's but found them to be more of a gimick and much prefered the imaging and presentation of normal stereo headphones imo.

I'm currently using beyer DT290's

http://www.studiospares.com/pd_410281_BEYER DT290 HEADSET 80ohm.htm

These unfortunately came without a terminated cable as it's a proffesional headset and can be terminated with differing connectors. These are not usually used with pc sound cards so I had to get beyer to make me one up specially at some considerable cost.(I'm no good with a soldering iron)
    I've been looking for a really good headset for a while now and have tried all of the top of the range PC headsets which don't seem to cut the mustard. The dt234's were better than all the senns I tried and are half the cost so if you looking for a really good headset thats comfortable and give great performance look no further.
    I spent a lot of money on a headset but if you've got a decent pc with a good sized monitor why scrimp on the sound side of things
    I'd heard the beyer dt250's before and they sounded really good (the dt290's being the same but with a really good mic) so they now fullfill my need to have a decent sound set up for my pc. They too are very comfortable and ideal for long listening sessions and give the best sound I've heard any headset give.

The other alternative would be to buy a regular quality pair of headphones and a seperate mic.I play a lot of online team based multiplayer games (cs:s and bf2) and much prefer the conveinience of a headset though;)