• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC Speakers + Subwoofer recommendation

Terrum

Standard Member
Hi all, I've been using a set of Creative Inspire 6700 speakers and subwoofer for a while now. I must say for when I got them, they were pretty powerful at the time! I only use 2 of the speakers though as I'm not really in huge need of surround sound just yet. My main problem with them however is that they get pretty distorted just over middle volume, and I'm pretty sure that's a wattage issue!

As a DJ and a heavy music listener, I would generally need crystal clear sounding music so I can hear all basses and trebles at any volume! So really what I'm looking for is for someone to recommend me a decent set of PC speakers with a subwoofer, that doesn't distort, with great power and no matter the volume, the basses/trebles stay crystal clear!

I have personally heard a subwoofer (an LG SH53PH-W) that is incredible for this kind of stuff, but as it's passive, it's not really usable for a PC without an amplifier, and for obvious reasons, I don't want to have to use an amplifier for my PC!

My budget is negotiable, just the best for the cheapest price :)

I've been looking into a pair of Logitech Z623 speakers. The 200w sounds very promising compared to my current 30w Creative speakers. Do you think I should get these speakers? Does the higher wattage mean I can turn them up louder without them distorting like my current 30w Creative speakers? ;) And most importantly, are the frequencies for the bass/tremble just as good (or even better!) than my current Creative speakers?

Many thanks to anyone reading this and any responses highly appreciated!

Last edited:

dogfonos

The Logitech Z623's get mixed reviews. I think the "expertreviews" review says it all really:

It certainly has volume, but without a tone control to counteract the weak treble, music simply isn't as well rounded as other 2.1 sets. If you don't need surround sound but still want something with serious volume, Corsair's SP2500 set is a better choice.

From what I've read, the Corsairs SP2500 will improve upon your existing speakers in every respect. They cost a bit more than the Z623 but will likely better those in every respect too. At under £180, there are no other powered 2.1 setups that get such consistently good reviews.

More power often means higher volumes but not always - depends how efficient the speakers are. A low-powered amp partnered with efficient speakers could play louder than a powerful amp partnered with inefficient speakers.

Terrum

Standard Member
Thanks a lot dogfonos! I got a pair of SP2500 today and I must say they are incredible. The tweeter at full volume even makes my heart sting - that's how clear it is! (That's probably bad for me :) Lucky it was only a test and I won't be putting it at full volume).

However I need some help trying to get the most out of these speakers. When I try put it to around 70%, the bass seems to decrease. The high-pitched end is absolutely fine however, just the subwoofer/bass seems to loose it's 'oomph' after 70%. Anyone recommend me the best setup? As I've seen so many YouTube videos with the most heaviest bass and it feels like I'm not even getting any at high volume.

I know I'm being picky, but the audiophile that I am wants to get the best out of these speakers :) Any help is appreciated!

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
It's important not to overdrive the front end of the speakers in-built amplifier so you should have the volume setting in the speakers reasonably high and use the master volume in the pc for changing the volume on a regular basis.

Also, depending on the sound card/chip in your pc, there will be an equaliser that you can use to tailor the frequency profile.

Rt click the speaker symbol down in the RH corner, playback devices, selct speakers, click on properties, select equaliser. I've got an IDT codec and this works for me.

Terrum

Standard Member
Thanks both for all your support :) What equaliser do you recommend I use on the actual speakers themselves so it doesn't clash with the equaliser on my computer?

dogfonos

However I need some help trying to get the most out of these speakers. When I try put it to around 70%, the bass seems to decrease. The high-pitched end is absolutely fine however, just the subwoofer/bass seems to loose it's 'oomph' after 70%.

Many possible reasons for this but one thing at a time...

The Corsairs have Digital Signal Processing (DSP) which the user can manipulate. Have you tried to use this function to get the sound you want? I don't pretend to understand all it's DSP options but one option (for late night listening?) is that the full frequency range can be fed to the satellites which automatically mutes the sub. Obviously, small satellites cannot reproduce the bass levels of a sub. Is it possible you have accidentally chosen that option? There could be other DSP options which mute or reduce bass levels so check they are not selected.

I also wonder if you've grown accustomed to excessive, possibly boomy, bass in the past? By all accounts, the SP2500's are not bass-light but they are very clean so may not sound as 'heavy' as lesser subs. If you find you need to add significant frequency shaping (e.g. by excessive use of an equaliser) then it's my opinion that something is wrong with the setup.

Hope we can sort this issue for you.

Terrum

Standard Member
Many possible reasons for this but one thing at a time...

The Corsairs have Digital Signal Processing (DSP) which the user can manipulate. Have you tried to use this function to get the sound you want? I don't pretend to understand all it's DSP options but one option (for late night listening?) is that the full frequency range can be fed to the satellites which automatically mutes the sub. Obviously, small satellites cannot reproduce the bass levels of a sub. Is it possible you have accidentally chosen that option? There could be other DSP options which mute or reduce bass levels so check they are not selected.

I also wonder if you've grown accustomed to excessive, possibly boomy, bass in the past? By all accounts, the SP2500's are not bass-light but they are very clean so may not sound as 'heavy' as lesser subs. If you find you need to add significant frequency shaping (e.g. by excessive use of an equaliser) then it's my opinion that something is wrong with the setup.

Hope we can sort this issue for you.
Precisely. I could just be over-estimating the speakers and having too high expectations :p However I'll go with these tips once I've properly set it up with a ASUS Xonar DX and a gold-plated cable, whilst messing with the equaliser on my computer, I'm hoping these solve a lot of things ;)

The program is set to NONE and the EQ is set to Pop. I've tried searching through them all and Pop sounds best to me (For dubstep, dnb, and other sorts of music on those levels)

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
The quality of the graphic equaliser software varies from soundchip to soundchip. If you have a Realtek sound chip, you have the various presets, but you can also change to a slider type equaliser by clicking the button in the window. A google search says its a little guitar icon on the Realtek Audio Manager.

Also, don't you have an independent volume control for the sub-woofer?

Terrum

Standard Member
The quality of the graphic equaliser software varies from soundchip to soundchip. If you have a Realtek sound chip, you have the various presets, but you can also change to a slider type equaliser by clicking the button in the window. A google search says its a little guitar icon on the Realtek Audio Manager.
Well my current onboard sound card is a Realtek one, and it has a decent equaliser but it just has that common 'fuzz' like noise on high volumes. Even so on USB sound cards too. Hence why I'm going to try get the ASUS Zonar DX, unless that's not a good idea?

Also, don't you have an independent volume control for the sub-woofer?
The SP2500 does have its own volume control for the subwoofer, yes.

dogfonos

...it just has that common 'fuzz' like noise on high volumes. Even so on USB sound cards too

I've not heard any noise like that from my PC. I use both the in-built Realtek chip (taking the output signal from the PC's front headphone socket) and an external USB DAC (Epiphany EDAC). Could the problem be something spyder viewer mentioned in an earlier post, i.e...

It's important not to overdrive the front end of the speakers in-built amplifier so you should have the volume setting in the speakers reasonably high and use the master volume in the pc for changing the volume on a regular basis.

dogfonos

From a review by "guru3d":

The control unit is easy to read out, work with and full with functionality. If you leave your soundcard at default settings and just use the control pod you'll quickly end at POP IQ preferences with the DSP set to Dynamic POP as that generates the best bass, voice and treble experience.

From earlier posts, it sounds like you may also have found this to be the best setting.

Having looked at many reviews of the SP2500's, all appear to say it has perfect, or near perfect, bass and can play at room shaking levels so I can't figure out what's happening in your system?!? Another thing I hadn't realised about these speakers is that they seem to be true active speakers utilising DSP active crossovers (always knew the satellites were bi-amped but hadn't realised they had active crossovers - amazing tech for the price). I think this explains why they sound so good and that many reviewers who review them are using terminology usually reserved for decent hifi speakers (e.g. separation of sounds, spatial placement etc).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom