1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC speaker installation question...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MRW, Feb 19, 2003.

1. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

I have been scratching my head about this one for a couple of weeks now and I thought that this would be the place to get an answer!...

I need some speakers (about £25 a pair) that connect to a PC.

That's the easy part.

These speakers need to be at least 2 metres apart and mounted on the wall, either side of an interactive whiteboard.

Now the question is this - does anyone know if there are some PC speakers out there that as standard have quite long (at least 2m) cables (audio and power) or will I just have to get a pair of speakers and somehow extend them?

Hope you can help!

Matthew

2. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can't help too much with the speakers other than suggest that you try PC World or similar.

As to the leads, had similar problem with rear surround speakers for pc. Bought 3.5mm plugs and sockets from Maplins and made the extensions to suit for a couple of pounds.

If you're shopping from the web, also check price at Farnells as they can be bit dearer to buy but the p&p is a lot less than Maplins so nett is cheaper.

Rgds

3. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply, Paul.

With regards to your rear surround speakers, were the original cables that came with the speakers already moulded into the back of the case, or were they totally separate?

Because I reckon that if I get some normal PC speakers, the cables are going to be already moulded into the back of them so I will therefore have to cut the cable in the middle, add some length and then join it back again!

Matthew

4. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matthew,
    Moulded in to the back but it's not a problem, see next.
    Don't cut the lead, make an extension.
    PC speaker connections are usually 3.5mm mono plugs. Buy 2 sockets and 2 plugs plus some wire and make an extension lead. As long as you can use a soldering iron, or know someone who can, piece of cake.

Maplins parts
    HF83E - Socket (50p ea)
    HF80B - Plug (50p ea)
    XR39N - Zip Wire (19p per metre)

Rgds

Paul