1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC sound through Amp for gaming

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Yorkieblade, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Novice Amp man connecting av amp to PC soundcard

Hi all,

Not sure if I am in the right thread area but here goes:-

I am in the process of buying a plasma tv and I am gonna take my pc + PS2 through it. I am retaining my cheap but reliable Kenwood KRF V5050D 5:1 DTS AMP .

I would like to know if anyone has connected their PC to their 5:1 amp ?

If so what soundcard is good to do this? and can any one recommend a s/card?

And what cable do I need ? and what do I connect to and from??

I would obv want 5:1 out of my pc where a game has that facility.

Now for the PS2 what lead is required ?and where do I plug to and from also?

Thanks for your anticipated help. I hope there is an amp/pc buff out there who can help.

Yorkie

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    What sound card are you using? If its a creative card then no, you cant have digital 5.1 unless its only for DVD Video viewing.

If its for gaming you are going to have a hard time geting it to work.( i know, ive tried)

In theory at least it should work but in practice it doesnt.
    Creative just want you to buy their sound cards AND their sound systems
    (5.1 surround creative works)

Some people have been able to conect their PCs to their amps and managed to get their games to run proper Dolby Digital 5.1 but i havent been able to yet.

If you conect your PS2 or an XBox it does work and you get proper Dolby Digital 5.1 in games. (games that support it anyway) All XBox games support it, but only a handfull of PS2 games do.

For the PC, its best to use analog 5.1 using EAX for games.

3. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks AML, At the moment I am using on board sound on my mother board just through some cheapo powered speakers, so I will buy a new sound card if there is one out there that will do the job.
    Interesting that the PS2 allows 5:1 option that sounds promising - does anyone know what lead is required here please?
    The PC will be mainly for gaming ,music,odd DVD viewing etc.

I would like to know who are:- "Some people have been able to conect their PCs to their amps and managed to get their games to run proper Dolby Digital 5.1"
    I hope someone comes along .
    But thanks for getting my thread moving AML, I'm sure we will know the answer in a few days.

Yorkie

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yeah, let me just answer your Q's!

To use the PS2 or Xbox, buy an optical digital cable and plug it into the back of your PS2. (depends on the model I guess) I think all PS2's have the optical out at the back.
    Check the instruction manual if you are not sure.

As for the PC, well I started a thread about this way back called "Dolby Digital?" about how to have your PC games playing with DD 5.1.

I was never really able to get it to work, but some guys who posted on my thread said they did. Try doing what they did!

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I wrote a reply to your thread in the amps/recievers section, bit it all depends if your kenwood has 5.1 input or only stero and digital (i.e. optical or coaxial)

If you have the 5.1 input you can just plug the pc directly to the amp and just tell the game in it's sound setting that your using surround sound. If you use a creative card they have proprietory surround modes that you'd be able to use in games although if there anybetter than anyone elses surround modes is pretty much unknown to me.

As for the consoles if the game says DD on the box then just plug the optical cable from your console and enjoy surround sound. If the games don't have surround or you amp doesn't take in 5.1 (via phono) then you'll probly get Dolby Prologic which although not as good as the other option above will still give you surround, if it works properly though i can't say cos i've never tried it (i.e. if someones behind you will the sound come from behind?).

6. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gaz again , I saw your reply in the other thread and I am just posting here to let other people know some more info.

So basically as long as my soundcard has a coaxil or optical out(toslink) then I may as well just stick an optical or coaxial lead to the amp and let the amp do the work.

Unfortunatley I only have one optical in on my amp , but I may trade up to the £250 Denon which has component switching 3 +1 I believe also int has 2 x optical in and 1 x coaxial in (basically I could kill about 10 birds with 1 stone) but the price is rising , lol

Does anyone know of a good solid soundcard with coax or optical out ?

Thanks again
    Yorkie