1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC sound deadening

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ReTrO, Mar 27, 2002.

1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I am going to experimen tiwht making my Pc quieter without spending too much. My first purchase will be a ZuwalTech (sp?) CPU heatsink and fan.

I'm looking at lining my case sides with Dynamat to see what happens.

Any extra ideas guys?

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone answer him!...or I will be knocking up a 3' square 60mm thick MDF box and I dont have the time at the mo!:D

Taz.:cool:

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thta'll be for my new tv!

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that the PSU was the noisiest part on my PC, closely followed by the Northbridge fand and CPU fan. I replaced the PSU with a quiet CPU fan and it made a significant difference. The Northbridge with a heat sink (£12 I think) and got a quieter CPY fan (wish i'd got the radial fin cooler now though).

I also slowed the pioneer DVD drive with the Pioneer DVD rom speed control program.

It is a lot quieter, but not brilliant. I am going to built a cabinet to put all my gear in soo, and this will have a sound insulated door for the PC, but open at the back to allow airflow and cable connection.

Pc is still quieter than the projector, but that will hopefully get Rolands quiet fan mod before long.

I'd think if you'r lining the case with anything, be sure to keep checking the running temperature, it will act as insulation too and may cause heat build up.
    Nick

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Retro,
    I think I have just the idea...

I had some SuperMat Pink acoustic insulation (from B&Q) slabs around. I cut them to fit various internal faces in the HTPC and then wrapped them in black bin-liner and sealed with selotape to stop dust issues. Front face, l-shape for main panel cover, around and above DVD-rom.

Combined with an emermax whisper PSU, the pc playing a DVD in now quieter than a Playstation2, but not totally ideal. It's way quieter than the Barco 808s though!

If the airflow from the front inlet through to the psu extraction outlet is not impeeded then heat soak shouldn't be a big problem. No issues with my HTPC, except TheaterTek locking-up on a blank screen with Shrek R1 and Tron 25th R1. Both at exactly the same place each time, so not temperature related, more like a TT bug.

a) Get the pioneer slowdown utility to work with my RPC1 flashed Pioneer 106s slot loader. It runs, but I'm not sure if the drive actually runs slower, probably because it has a slightly changed drive name in Device Manager after flashing. I also know slot loaders are reported to be more noisy but I just love the convenience.

b) passive cooling for Celeron 1.1GHz

c) passive cooling for Radeon 64DDR

d) Maxtor 40GB 5400rpm HDD seems reasonably quiet. May one day replace with a Seagate Baracuda 120GB ultra-quiet drive.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    why not put he PC in a cupboard??