1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Sound Card to 5.1 Amp - Help Please

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by marktay, Apr 10, 2005.

1. marktay

marktay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have built an MCE PC and want to connect it to a cheapo 5.1 Surround Amp. The sound card I have is a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum which has SPDIF optical and coaxial outputs. I get nothing from the speakers connected to the amp from either optical or coax. I have tried the music player that comes with the sound card as well as Media Player, Real Player etc. but no sound from the digital outputs. I have tested the analogue output on the card and it is fine - I also get sound from the amp with a dvd player on the optical link. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Hopefully it is just a setting, check all your audio settings are set to spdif out, check in windows volume settings, the dvd codec settings and your media player settings.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511
    If you have more than one media player installed on your ystem make sure you set all of them to the desired settings.

I had a nightmare setting my card up. All the answers are in this thread below. Good luck its worth the hasle.

Heres the instructions.

I found this thread while looking for a solution to a problem getting 5.1 out of my Audigy2 and a coax digital connection. I found the fix for this and wanted to share.

Basically I was going for the 5.1 pass-through using PowerDVD 5, an Audigy 2 Gamer (no "Live Drive"), a coax output and an Onkyo 6.1 home theater system (with decoder built into the receiver). I wanted 6.1 (Dolby/DTS EX) for the movies, and channel for my regular Windows stuff, with the ability to use my headphone/microphone all without a bunch of clicking on sound settings everytime I changed applications (the analog 5.1 connections required me to change my control panel settings for each application--and denied me any use of the rear center 6.1 capability because the receiver didn't have an analog input for that channel). I use the headphones 50% of the time, and the amp'd sound the other 50%. This offers no capability that I have seen yet to get 5.1 out of games or whatever (not a factor for me really). I'm not sure I have any games that are capable of this...

SW settings are like folks have already said: Creative Audio HQ-->Device Properties-->Decoder = SPDIF passthru. Creative Speaker Settings -->2/2.1, Synch with control panel, Digital Only. PowerDVD audio config is SPDIF. I feel like I tried all this already, but didn't see it working until now (was always stereo PCM at best)--maybe one of them was off or something. This lets everything in my Windows environment be 2-channel, except DVD playback which gives the 6.1 stuff--on my receiver I do have to push the "surround" button to get the receiver into multi-channel mode, otherwise it stays stereo-only. The receiver kicks straight back to stereo when I shut down PowerDVD (it senses the tremor in the Force or something...)

None of the "speaker tests" in Windows will show all the channels working. My indications for success were hearing the good stuff, and seeing the correct things on the receiver info display. Bonus here is that the digital output in the stereo mode is decoded by the receiver to give me the 2.1 subwoofer action--so even stereo sounds better now. Nothing new really I guess, but the directions are not clear at all for this and I was beginning to wonder whether the Audigy2 was capable of this via the coax at all, thankfully it is. Also works for 6.1 from PowerDVD in HDD mode.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194261&highlight=5.1

I hope this sorts your problems out. :)

4. marktay

marktay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestions. I tried it out to no avail. In desperation I pulled the PC apart and reinstalled. This time I added the Firewire cable between the drive insert and the card itself, and hey presto everything works. I stupidly assumed that the Firewire cable was only for linking the front Firewire port to the card and the ribbon cable handled everything else- silly me.

I now have optical and coax SPDIF working fine in 5.1 from MCE using WinDVD codec, plus Real and the player that comes with the soundcard.

As mentioned earlier - SPDIF is set in the AudioHQ Device Controls and in WMP in Tools > Devices > Advanced

Mark

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511
    Glad you got it working :)

6. rcube

rcube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was able to fix the 5.1 spdif output problem between my audigy2 and Sony receiver. Previously it was playing only two channels regardles of the control panel settings.

You just need need to install an AC3 filter, can be any, I used the free one:

http://www.free-codecs.com/AC3_Filter_download.htm

After the installation, go to Start-->programs-->"AC3 Filter"--> "AC3 filter setup"

On the "MAin" screen, select 5.1, 24bit, mark "SPDIF"

On "system" tab, select AC3, DTS and MPEG for SPDIF Pasthrough.

Restart your player or game and start enjoying the 5.1 sound :) All my stuff plays great, including games, DVDs and .avi movies with AC3 sound track.
    Would be interesting to know if it worked for you, so please post here