1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC shutdown problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My friend has a Sony laptop, model PCG-971M, which he had for two years. Operating System is Windows XP Home Edition. The problem started only a few weeks ago, otherwise it was working fine before. When he shuts down the computer (by doing Start -> Turn Off Computer -> Turn Off), the computer goes through the normal Windows shutting down procedure, but then it automatically restarts instead of completly powering down. The only way of powering down the system is by enforcing a power-off by holding down the power button on the laptop, but then the PC has to go through the checking process next time he starts up.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks.

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My main pc recently started to do this too!

I did a google, and found a tutorial of a registry edit to tell windows not to restart after power off. This worked, but the problem does come back intermitantly, so I think whatever is doing it is somehow updating the registry

I thought it may be due to an auto update issue - winXP, norton, or the new windows anti spyware?

3. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had the same problem on pretty much every computer that I've built sadly. I never got to the bottom of problem, though I could confirm, in my case at least that it was'nt anti spyware/norton as the said computers I did'nt have on the internet and thus did'nt need this software nor would it be an update....I think it must be left over rubbish in the registry where I had removed some hardware or software yet there were traces of it left in the registry....

4. Billy_G

Billy_G
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Used to be a problem if power management was turned off in bios. Was anything installed/updated prior to the problem?

5. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Here is the location to edit the registry

Open your registry: ( run: regedit.exe )

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

find the key PowerdownAfterShutdown and make sure it is set to "1" to power off the computer at shutdown - "0" is to to reboot.

If you are unsure about editing the registry, then back it up first.

6. garbon

garbon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this problem before, myn was due to LAN card (had not changed it but suddenley reset to defult)
    LAN can restart or boot up your computer (wake on LAN)
    I solved it by going into device manager and bringing up divce and checking and unchecking 'allow divce to bring out of stanby' and ok.
    This soved my problem hope it helps,

7. nobbyc

nobbyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had something similar after installing a scanner - the Bios settings were such that if any signal recived from a USB port then it would automatically reboot. Disabled this setting & everything's been fine since.