• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC Shut-Down Issue

MWP1985

Does anybody know what needs to be done to make my computer automatically power off after the shut-down cycle has been completed? As it is, the computer shuts down normally and then the display turns off suggesting that the shut-down is complete. However, the fans in the computer keep running and the power LED remains on.

The strange thing is it was turning off the power on its own yesterday but now it won't.

What OS you running. I have had this problem on both xp home and xp pro.

I belive its a os issue. Can still not work it out. First I though it was my modem doggy drivers, then I ruled that out. Then I belived it was hardware this was ruled out. Now I belive its xp just getting tired and having a im not going to sleep fit.

Some times a good defrag does the trick. Microsoft have a dump tool that is to help correct this problem. Have installed this and still no joy.:suicide:

MWP1985

I think it's the BIOS doing it because sometimes it turns off (like this morning) and sometimes it doesn't. Usually it turns off if the computer hasn't been on for long so I'm thinking that maybe the BIOS is trying to cool the CPU down before it shuts down completely.

Obviously, I'm not entirely sure about this but you never know. It's not a major issue but it'd be interesting to know for sure what was going on.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom