1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC setup for video editing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by crawf1982, Nov 22, 2002.

1. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I want to make the most of my pc in terms of video editing. Here's some new stuff I have got to work with:

40 Gb Seagate Barracuda IV
    120 Gb Seagate Barracuda V
    Windows XP Pro
    Pinnacle Studio 8

Here's what I'm thinking of doing with this lot:

Install XP on the 40 Gb drive and have that as the boot drive
    Install Studio 8 on the 120Gb drive and have that as sort of a dedicated video editing drive.

Does that sound like the best setup? Any suggestions on a better setup, partitioning, tips and tricks would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Use the 40Gb drive as boot drive but also put ALL other software on this drive and ONLY have your captured video/sound on the 120Gb drive. This gives the best performance as the only access on the video drive is the video, all other work is done on the boot drive. I bought a preconfigured editing machine setup as above, and this is the recommended method.
    Another tip is download a programme called EndItAll (do a search to find it). This will stop ALL background programmes such as anti virus etc wich can cause problems while video editing.

Good luck
    Mark.

3. dave250uk

dave250uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go with Marks advice but partition the small drive to add a small 2 gig area and set XP to use this as Virtual Memory page file disk.
    Also turn off the system recovery for all but C: and reduce the size reserved by half of the default.