1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc settings for dvd playback

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by reevesy, May 16, 2005.

1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    hi all ,
    what sort of basic settings should i be using in order to improve dvd play back on a pc?
    i've tried different resolutions and each time dvd playback seems mediocre to me.
    i use a 19" crt monitor (currently 1280x960) radeon 128mb graphics and power dvd.
    any blindingly obvious pointers that i've bound to have over looked would be most appreciated

2. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Set the monitor refresh rate to 50Hz for pal dvd's and 60Hz for NTSC.

IF you are board :) use the seach button above and enter ffdshow and reclock - happy tweaking

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The standard ratio for a 4:3 screen would be 1280x1024.

have you tried that?

Dave

4. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    1280x1024 is an LCD panel resolution, and confusingly enough is not actually 4:3. 17 and 19 inch LCD panels typically have this resolution, and with it a slightly more square shape. 1280x960 is the correct resolution for a CRT monitor, and indeed is the one I use.
    To improve dvd playback, you could try the Nvidia dvd playback filters- these certainly look a bit better to me. Another thing would be to try theatertek, as this is meant to be the best quality DVD software, although having never tried it i couldn't really promise this.
    Alternatively you could try playing with the PowerDVD colour profiles, or try turning on CLEV, which are both free things you could try within powerdvd.
    If you are watching pal DVDs i would recommend a screen refresh rate of 100hz, as opposed to 50hz, as a monitor would flicker like crazy at that rate. 75hz is another possibility- any round multiple of 25 really. The same applies with NTSC dvds- a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24 should give the smoothest picture (although how noticeable this will be with refresh rate 100hz or better is another question).

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing how quickly I've got used to a TFT screen! Sorry for the mis-information!

If my mental arithmetic was better, I'd have seen it straight away!

Dave

6. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    cheers for the tweaks :thumbsup: