1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC set up on Plasma and HD Trailer Judder

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Miander, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Need some advice on getting my computer running through the PD7200 through DVI, on a Radeon 9700.

I can only go to 1024 x 768 85hz without the desktop scrolling. And in forced 720p or 1080i it goes squashed or stretched?

Anyone got any tips

It is rather blurred at the moment, also running the New Kong HD Trailer it stutters like a bugger... any ideas on that also

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    What chip is it?

It is recommended min. 3ghz for 1080...

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Boba fett, you need to try 1280x720@60Hz for trailers from the net, I think all the HD stuff is 60Hz. That will cure the stretch problem. The 60Hz thing might cure some or all of the stuttering, if your PC is up to spec. My laptop will run 720p smoothly, it's a 1.5 mobile chip. It won't run 1080i though. Excuse my ignorance but I can't recall the connections on a 7200, does it have DVI and HDMI? If so, it's likely the DVI won't take 1280/720 and you will need to use the HDMI instead, with an adapter. Whether you are seeing PC logjam or frame rate conversion judder is hard to say. If it stops and starts it's the PC, if it's dipslayed, but the fim moves in jerks, it's FRC. Your screen internally refreshes at 60Hz (I'm assured by hitachi) so will have a marked preference for 60Hz, no idea why you can't use that for 1024/768.

4. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oki
    Spec of machine

512mb ram
    athlon xp2200
    ATI Radeon 9700 128.
    With nothing installed.. bare bones system!

when i set (for some reason) the 1280 x 720 res the desktop flipping scrolls! I can also set 720p but the screen scrolls also! there is no mention in the manual about much with regards to pc connection

Now also if i run a browser the whole screen dulls itself but when in a application the screen is nice and bright whoicha again is odd!

Also the display properties doesnt have the TV its a default PNP monitor? is ther a driver for the Hitachi PD7200.

on another note the TV has on the DVI port DVI-PC and DVI-STB? thats the STB? cause thats supports the 720p!...

This is getting real frustrating.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right, the PC won't run 1080 I shouldn't think, but can't see why it shouldn't do 720. Set DVI to STB, and try 1280/720@60 Hz. There is no 'driver' for the screen, a shareware prog called powerstrip might help, you can tweak to anyhting you need with it. It has to be said, and it has, by me and many many others, if you want to use a PC don't buy a Hitachi, they are the most frustrating with PC signals, no native res, not at all, and the aspect ratio problem is compounded by the internals of the panel. It's a TV, and quite at home with video.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Why don't you ask in the pc section, probably get a better response.
    I don't think you machine will playback HD though, not enough grunt, but you should be able to get a stable image up. You want to use DVI-PC and then set you card to 1024x768@60hz, it probably wont accept it over the DVI-STB (set top box) input at all as it will be looking for video resolutions.

Tell your pc you have a sony w900 monitor that will give you loads of options for resolutions.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Forget everything I said! If it can't take native res as Martin says then you have to go 720p/60. Have fun! :)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That will still leave him with an aspect ratio problem. To play back HD .wmv files, he needs a 16:9 aspect ratio signal. Or at least I've never managed to get media player to do aspect ratio correction.

LOL Guy, forget what I've said then!

9. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    looks like im up s**t creak! with out a boat or paddle!

hehe i will give it a go when i get in.. Its annoying really... a royal pain in the a*s

I will give it a go on the PC forum also. asa extra note.. I have Divx Avi's that also stutter... is it something else.

but can you say why when set to 1280 x 720 the whole desktop scrolls.

Furthermore. When i had the old Nvidia 64mb card in. IT was able to run at that very res no probs BUT i had no DVI!

o the fun

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    The likely reason that the desktop scrolls in 1280x720 is that the PC thinks your connected display is 4:3 not 16:9. It therefore "assumes" that it needs to display a 4:3 window of a virtual 16:9 desktop, and thus scrolls around within it.

This could be because the drivers for your video card are ignoring the DVI device signalling the resolutions that it supports, or the display only being designed to accept 4:3 resolutions via the DVI input (1024x768 etc.)

Stupid question - but have you upgraded to the latest Radeon drivers, or trialled Powerstrip? (Powerstrip allows you to create non-standard video modes - I have used it to create a 16:9 1024x576 50Hz SDTV mode for my VGA->RGB SCART connected Windows MCE box feeding my 50Hz Sony TV)

11. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im running the very latest ATI drivers,. 5, something, i havent tried Powerstrip yet.. going to install tonight

This might do the trick! i will keep the posted thanks :)

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I reckon you will need to use the HDMI to get 1280/720 to work. I've had a look at the manual now, the adapters are quite cheap. DVI is very 'PC' and HDMI is very 'video'. To get the aspect ratio right, that's the route to take.

13. barong

barong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the same thing trying to use DVI to HDMI whenever you set it up as 1920 by ... 1080i it cuts off the top and bottom.

In fact any resolution you either get out of sync or cut off bits

14. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My 2 cents - I have a dual amd mp2600 system which plays ok *some* 720 clips, and works badly with others (think slideshow rather than movie). The difference seems to be the amount of change/dynamics in the clip. 1080 is completely out of the question. This is certainly not a monitor/frequency judder problem, the amd chip simply doesn't have the horsepower for decoding.

I would obviously think a single-cpu xp2200 would barely be capable of displaying 720 clips.

In the meantime I got a dual-core 3Ghz (pentium 830D) which works fine with all HD clips, including 1080. Time for upgrade, maybe? :)

15. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I also have a 1.5ghz laptop with Radeon 7500, how can I play HD content on my PWD8? I realise it'll be downscaled but not sure of the actual interconnect between laptop and screen. I have the standard VGA, s-vid + composite with the scart board on order.

Also, out of interest, what media player software are you guys using? I have The Core Media Player, VLC, and WMP 10. I find The Core the most flexible.

16. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You can certainly connect the PC using your VGA connector. As far as I know, for best results get PowerStrip, build a custom resolution to match your screen resolution, and Bob's your uncle. Search the forum for more info on this, a lot of people have done it before.
    I'm very happy with MCE2005, which I believe uses the WM10 engine. For DivX decoding I use XviD, and for MPEG-2 decoding I have PowerDVD 6.0 installed. MCE can directly use the PowerDVD decoding library, so I don't need to switch application. I've also installed VobSub, Vorbis and Markov DirectShow filters, so I can use those formats and features.

17. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Symphara, thanks for this. I just wondered whether playing clips from the laptop through the vga-in would display HD content in HD so to speak, albeit downsampled.
    The benchmark HD demonstration for me so far was seeing the 42PV500 playing the Panasonic Hi def demo (off a hard-drive?) at John Lewis.

PowerDVD is also pretty smart, I use that a lot too!

18. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    i always find that if your using DVI to dvi or dvi to hdmi then go to your advance settings & force tv detection both nvidia & ati have these options, it will normaly have an option then to open for HDTV resolutions.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PW8, set 1280/720@60Hz again. The screen has decent 720p algorithms, it looks very good with this.

20. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seem to have hit the sweetspot. Cheers!
    One more newbie question, I've checked the manual but can't see how to check total hours used.

21. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got it to work fine... on a athlon xp200 on 720p clips.

It was the tv in the end a setting which i had to change if i wanted to view movies.. I havent got it set up at the moment as im in theprcess of gettinga new sofa!

as soon as i can look i will find out what i changed

Thanks