Question PC screen goes black for a split second and I lose a tray icon!

Zippy77777

Hi guys. Not sure how to explain this but its been bugging me for some time. Everyday I use my computer it happens at some stage. I will be doing something, and say open a program or double click on an icon and the PC will hesitate for a second and then the screen goes black and literally comes back on at I lose my nVidia icon in the bottom right of the screen by the clock. It tends only to do it one time but it does it everytime the computer is switched back on at some point, normally early on. Any ideas, it's really bugging me? Thank you for your time :)

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Hi guys. Not sure how to explain this but its been bugging me for some time. Everyday I use my computer it happens at some stage. I will be doing something, and say open a program or double click on an icon and the PC will hesitate for a second and then the screen goes black and literally comes back on at I lose my nVidia icon in the bottom right of the screen by the clock. It tends only to do it one time but it does it everytime the computer is switched back on at some point, normally early on. Any ideas, it's really bugging me? Thank you for your time :)
Sounds like the display driver is crashing and resetting for some reason, I'd start off with a clean driver re-install.

drinkturps

Sounds like the display driver is crashing and resetting for some reason, I'd start off with a clean driver re-install.
This first.

If the problem persists after a clean and up to date driver install, take a look in your event viewer under system to see what is faulting when you get the screen flicker. I'd then try taking your GPU out, giving the connectors a clean and putting it back in again to see what happens.

Zippy77777

I'll check the event viewer when it next does it. I do a clean install of the gpu drivers for my 1080 everytime a new driver comes out. I use DDU in safe mode and completely take out the old before doing a fresh install of the new, so I know the driver is good. Will check the viewer next time. Thank you.

Zippy77777

I took a llook in the event viewer which I don't really know my way round to be perfectly honest. This is the only thing that I could point it too. Could it be this?

Attachments

drinkturps

Check your system log. This looks like the explorer resetting following the display driver crash.

Zippy77777

Maybe I will just contact nVidia?

drinkturps

Zippy77777

Not that I could see. Nvidia have asked me to reset the card to factory default and tick debug mode and monitor.

drinkturps

Not that I could see. Nvidia have asked me to reset the card to factory default and tick debug mode and monitor.
Were you overclocking the card? That can cause this behaviour if the OC is too high. Anyway fingers crossed the reset does the business of you.

next010

Distinguished Member
I'd run Memtest86+ on your system just on the off chance the RAM is faulty which if the driver is accessing that part of the system memory causes it to crash.

Burn to CD/DVD or make USB key from their downloads, once it starts just leave it auto run with one pass up to 100%, (it will keep repeating so just power off PC to stop after 100%) if anything is wrong you will see bright red lines across the screen indicating bad RAM.