PC sales in decline.

jonna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading the linked article, I looked around our house and I have a Lenovo all in one pc gathering dust and the other pc in the house is never switched on. We have sold 2 laptops recently and all our family have there own Ipads . My Ipad fulfils 90% of my requirements, my hobby, video editing and the odd thing that I either can't do or find better on the pc keeps it from being defunct.
http://news.sky.com/story/1076711/pc-sales-hit-landmark-low-as-tablets-take-over

I did consider an iPad myself last year but as I need to do AVCHD video editing of existing footage taken over a number of years, then it had to be a laptop. Still I got a good deal (thanks to the Dell Outlet thread on here :thumbsup:) otherwise I'd probably have got the iPad myself.

They do look a bit silly when people use them as a camera though...

They probably haven't taken into account all the system builders in those number's, and I do not know anyone that doesn't build their own pc these days.

Well, one person, but I build his for him.

PC's off the shelves from somewhere like Currys probably fallen as not many people in there know much about pc's, and those that do suggest building your own if they are honest as your getting more for you money and can choose whatever operating system they see fit.

I was bought a nexus 7 recently and use a mates iPad, well help him with it, and neither would ever replace my desktop.... Though I'm a gamer so they dont have the power or controls I require, and are far too small.

They are a very popular gadget though, and nice to sit on the sofa relaxing reading the net, comics (I cant follow books.... dont ask) etc....

tris

I got rid of my PC in '11 but replaced it with an iMac.

I still like to sit down at a proper desk as I often type up Quotations and its not quite so easy on the iPad.

Yes, I do like a proper keyboard, but I thought you could get one for the iPad? Can't you plug in a USB one if not?

I'm pretty sure the generic imac wireless keyboard will work on the iPad.

Still really into my PC.

I do have an iPod which I use a lot but still prefer the PC.

I can suggest another reason for the decline in sales - technology slowdown.

Go back 15 years and your latest console or PC was looking outdated after 2 or 3 years. I was into building my own PC and it seemed like I was always upgrading the CPU, RAM or GFX card. Technology was advancing so fast.

But about 7 or 8 years ago, technology started slowing down.

I last did a PC upgrade about 5 years ago and it can still cope with everything that comes out.

Same with consoles, the XBox 360 is about 8 years old but games still play fast and look good on it. Before that a new console would come out every 4 years or so and people were lining up to buy becuase the tech jump was so big. I doubt we will see such takeup and success with the PS4 or the NextBox.

One of the reasons Game failed - no new consoles to buy.

Cheers,

Nigel

When you want to do any real work, the dual 22's and mouse and keyboard rock!

I have ordered a heavy and powerful 17" laptop which will replace my desktop PC.

Could be a big laptop is still viewed as a PC, but at least it will free up more room on my desk.

:thumbsup:

The problem I have with an ipad is that the typing doesn't seem that easy on them compared with a standard keyboard.

I can suggest another reason for the decline in sales - technology slowdown.

Agreed - Moore's Law continues but has less and less real-world effect.

I bought a desktop PC and HTPC at the end of 2007 - and they are both still running and very well. The desktop has had a couple of new bits - some extra memory and a couple of graphics cards. I consider myself to be a reasonable power-user - it's absorbed ripping blu-rays for instance, which isn't even a requirement I had when I built it (so yes it's had a blu-drive too).

Since then we've also bought two ipads (one used), a Macbook Air for SWMBO and a cheap laptop for the children - although my eldest always seems to end up with the Macbook anyway, with the SWMBO doing a lot of her browsing on her old Samsung phone.

Windows 8 is one of the reasons. Even people who don't know anything about computers know Vista was crap & I think Win 8 has the same negative buzz about it.

Sure the dual interface is stupid & annoying, but its more stable than Win 7 and doesn't have anywhere near to same boot problems in my experience.

HP and Acer lead biggest PC slump of all time as Apple continues to grow- The Inquirer

I'm pretty sure the generic imac wireless keyboard will work on the iPad.

It does. I have tried this myself.

It's companies as well. I work for a company running 12,000 PC's. We used to refresh them every few years but due to budget restraints that is now closer to 4-5. Plus we are still running XP. No need to upgrade for most as it runs all the usual productivity apps happily. And it's stable as hell. We did the same with NT4 as well until it was well out of support.

We focus more on server refresh and delivering apps from Citrix and Cloud now. Who needs a high end PC for that ?

Im sure that for the majority of people, Tablets can do 90% of the things that a full desktop Computer can do hense the decline.

The Mac mini- does this work on a TV?

If so then I can see that sort of setup being commonplace in homes instead of a PC/Mac desktop.

I've got a new laptop on order. The one being replaced is from 2006 and still works so I agree that lifespan of devices is increasing. I have an iPad (I'm using it now) but the idea of typing a review on it is horrendous.

I'm going to try out my Apple wireless keyboard on my iPad. I agree, the iPad keyboard isn't great. I can actually type quicker on my iPhone with my thumbs.

I got rid of my PC in '11 but replaced it with an iMac.

I still like to sit down at a proper desk as I often type up Quotations and its not quite so easy on the iPad.

^ The same time and replacement for me funnily enough, plus an iPad for sofa-browsing, working in the evening. It's funny how many out of hours sofa effort doesn't get reflected in my salary but it works

I'm going to try out my Apple wireless keyboard on my iPad. I agree, the iPad keyboard isn't great. I can actually type quicker on my iPhone with my thumbs.

Just Bluetooth them and you'll be fine, it works a dream IMO

I still need my laptop for my degree coursework and I can't see my Nexus or any such device taking over from my laptop on that front. I use the laptop only for the coursework though, browsing is 90% of the time done with my smart phone or Nexus.

I used to build and constantly upgrade my own computers all the time but have had my MacBook Pro for 3.5 years and just use my ps3 for gaming these days

Ive got a few tablets and im intending on getting a surface pro (which i think i will use loads), but i just cant abide by using anything other than a fully fledged OS and laptop at the moment, feels so restrictive, but I appreciate for most people that their tablet does almost if not everything they need.

I have an ipad but still use the laptop 99.9% of the time.

In fact, the only time I use the ipad is to watch movies or TV while having a bath.

The ipad is great but I just prefer the full functionality of the laptop. Having said that, apple have revolutionised the tablet market. Oh how we all laughed when the ipad was released.

The Mac mini- does this work on a TV?

If so then I can see that sort of setup being commonplace in homes instead of a PC/Mac desktop.

The Mac Mini is ideal for that sort of thing. It was the first Mac with a HDMI port actually.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom