Lgs

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Psych!

IronGiant

Can someone remind me how many L's there are in gullible? :D

Sonic67

Banned
I'd look it up but that word isn't in the dictionary.

Foebane72

PCs can be made inaudible and use dust filters to mean they don't end up clogged with dust.

Why is the PC left on overnight as, presumably, it's not being used? S3 sleep would make life quiet, quick and easy.
I tried sleep modes, they always shut off the drives, etc.

Can you recommend these dust filters for me? Although it's probably too late to avoid the compressed air can now.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
> I tried sleep modes, they always shut off the drives, etc.

That's the whole point isn't it? is that an issue?

I use S3 sleep on my desktop - everything powers down, and it restarts to the same state in seconds. I even did it once mid-game :)

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
PCs have always been easier to target than consoles (esp the PS3). almost every game of BF3 i played you would see people booted for hacking. sure, hacking tools have got better to spot hacks but new hacks still take a while to get listed.
That may be so but there are measures in place to detect and prevent it. It's not rampant as some people will say.

Some games on the 360 are completely unplayable due to those "hacking"/modding it but the same games are perfectly fine on PC.

Neither can I, I'll probably get slated for this, but since the original xbox release I've preferred console gaming to PC gaming.
Not at all. Each to their own.

PCs increasingly seem to be enthusiast devices rather than the mass market products of old. So many of the companies I deal with turn up with iPads and other tablets now instead of laptops. Some of them even project presentations with various add on devices.

We don't have a strict upgrade policy at work and we certainly have been spending less on new computers as part of a cost saving exercise, preferring component upgrades where possible.
I'd say that can largely depend on the business. While the company I work for is embracing the growing popularity of tablets and using them where possible, the large majority of work is still carried out on desktops/laptops (and servers) where it's best suited.

Then there's the price itself. I was in PC World the other day and couldn't believe how little your money got you now. £500 systems might get you a 2nd Gen i5 or 3rd Gen i3 if you're lucky, 4GB RAM and a 1TB HDD with either onboard graphics or an awful discrete card.

i7 systems seem to illicit £800+ price tags.

I haven't bought a new PC for years but spent £200 upgrading components recently. I bet enthusiasts spend a lot more than that!
This is more the fault of looking in PC World. As would be expected, you've never been able to do as well for your money.

Ah ok.

So doesn't really offer much for me personally that would warrant ever paying that for a keyboard.

I can think of 3 possible members that would have bought that, Razor, Boltlock or SegaMegaDave.

Who was it?
Boltlock.

> I tried sleep modes, they always shut off the drives, etc.

That's the whole point isn't it? is that an issue?

I use S3 sleep on my desktop - everything powers down, and it restarts to the same state in seconds. I even did it once mid-game :)
It is rather the point...

Can you recommend these dust filters for me? Although it's probably too late to avoid the compressed air can now.
And what's wrong with the drives spinning down?

My case has them built in for the intake fans but I have a couple of these somewhere: Quiet PC High Quality Magnetic Computer Dust Filters

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
What on earth does this keyboard offer over other keyboards?
Its an awesome bit of kit, each key is a programmable oled screen.

This is more the fault of looking in PC World. As would be expected, you've never been able to do as well for your money.
+1, 500 is enough if you shop smart, to get an i5k and a top end gpu, 7850 or thereabouts, some of you chaps need to get into the pc gaming section here to dispel some of these myths

Have you taken a look at the comprehensive power options, i'd be surprised if there wasnt a decent option or setting in there for leaving drives on but everything else in low power

Last edited:

SanPedro

Used to be a died in the wool Mac User.
Then I left the print/graphics business so had no need for a Mac from a technical standpoint.
Had a 17" laptop which looked great on screen, but weighed a ton. Damn thing packed up after 18 months, so very disappointed. Esp after bulletproof Mac reliability.
Went for a 13" Acer ultrabook... and love it. Just so light... and neat. It's a good spec... i5 with 4gb ram and 240gb SSD which was only £500 via Amazon Warehouse. Hopefully all will be well as there's virtually no moving parts :laugh:

Really does boot up in a few seconds.... so not much slower than a tablet.

IMO I think the trad PC is dead. The majority of people just surf the net, Facebook, shop online and do a bit of online banking. A <£200 tablet is all you need.

I only need a real PC as I do 'proper' work on it... Photoshop and web design. Plus some Word, Excel, Sage accounts etc.

But I don't miss a proper desktop PC, one iota. I love just being able to work from anywhere... our business is pretty mobile (web based) so I can be processing orders via wifi in our local caff, or from the passenger seat in the car whilst whizzing down the motorway.

My son is the local luddite... being the only one in the house who wants a desktop PC as he needs it for gaming :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom