PC sales in decline.

kevykat

Distinguished Member
I custom built a pc last year. Its a beast. Only ever use my laptop when I'm offshore.

Pc is hooked up to the surround sound amp and 51" plasma. It's on nearly all day and every day. I stream my shows and movies on it, we watch about everything on it. Nice 16gb of ram in it too.

rousetafarian

I borrowed a Surface from work for a weekend a d couldn't wait to give, sorry throw it back. Not for me, sorry

IronGiant

Just bought two new desk top boxes to work with existing keyboards and rodents and put XP on them, so I have no desire to leap forward yet. Although I have Win8 on my desktop :rolleyes:

I don't see the PC dying any time soon.

(And we have tablets, but they fulfill a completely different function IMHO)

BomoLad

A few weeks ago we got out old Dell PC out of the loft as a cousin wanted it. The monitors were HUGE. Not screen size but how far back it went. It was like having a house on the back of the screen. However did we cope?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Still really into my PC.

I do have an iPod which I use a lot but still prefer the PC.

I can suggest another reason for the decline in sales - technology slowdown.

Go back 15 years and your latest console or PC was looking outdated after 2 or 3 years. I was into building my own PC and it seemed like I was always upgrading the CPU, RAM or GFX card. Technology was advancing so fast.

But about 7 or 8 years ago, technology started slowing down.

I last did a PC upgrade about 5 years ago and it can still cope with everything that comes out.

Same with consoles, the XBox 360 is about 8 years old but games still play fast and look good on it. Before that a new console would come out every 4 years or so and people were lining up to buy becuase the tech jump was so big. I doubt we will see such takeup and success with the PS4 or the NextBox.

One of the reasons Game failed - no new consoles to buy.

Cheers,

Nigel
Technology hasn't slowed down. Software has. The tasks and requirements of most users hasn't changed in the last few years so those PCs are lasting longer.

Compare the current consoles to a game on a PC which isn't just a port (meaning it can use the last 6 or 7 years worth of advancement in technology) and there's a big difference.

Nice 16gb of ram in it too.
Which sounds as though it's not used, not that it really defines the performance.

Just bought two new desk top boxes to work with existing keyboards and rodents and put XP on them, so I have no desire to leap forward yet. Although I have Win8 on my desktop :rolleyes:

I don't see the PC dying any time soon.

(And we have tablets, but they fulfill a completely different function IMHO)
Sacrilege! Putting XP on anything now?! ;)

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Sniper Ash6 said:
Sacrilege! Putting XP on anything now?! ;)
An absolutely bombproof OS if you are only doing normal day to day tasks. I have win 7 (downgraded from 8 ) coming on the next laptop but for day to day stuff, I've been using XP until now.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
An absolutely bombproof OS if you are only doing normal day to day tasks. I have win 7 (downgraded from 8 ) coming on the next laptop but for day to day stuff, I've been using XP until now.
It's not like Win 7 is horrendously unstable, slow or has any glaring issues. I'd go as far as saying the same for Win 8 too.

nheather

Suspended
Technology hasn't slowed down. Software has.
Software is technology in my mind. Software and hardware go hand in hand, one drives the other.

I comparing the days when the latest game would run like a dog on my PC so I would upgrade the CPU and the performance would double. 2 years later and my PC would be struggling again, so in would go a new graphics card.

I haven't experienced that need in the last 5 years. My PC isn't great by today's standards, the CPU and GFX are several generations old, I can't run DirectX but it still plays the latest games on my HD monitor, on medium graphics which look perfectly adequate to me. I do not feel the need to spend £130+ on a newer graphics card.

My point is that I'm a fan of PCs and I value it way above my iPad yet I haven't spent a bean on it for the last 5 years and I certainly don't feel the need to go out and buy a new one tomorrow. So although I am a massive PC fan I am still contributing to the decline in sales.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Software is technology in my mind. Software and hardware go hand in hand, one drives the other.

I comparing the days when the latest game would run like a dog on my PC so I would upgrade the CPU and the performance would double. 2 years later and my PC would be struggling again, so in would go a new graphics card.

I haven't experienced that need in the last 5 years. My PC isn't great by today's standards, the CPU and GFX are several generations old, I can't run DirectX but it still plays the latest games on my HD monitor, on medium graphics which look perfectly adequate to me. I do not feel the need to spend £130+ on a newer graphics card.

Cheers,

Nigel
Ok, that probably should have read "Hardware hasn't slowed down. Software has."

Consoles are the primary platform for quite a few game developers which means they are coding for the lowest common point and not putting in the time/effort to make full use of the advantages PCs do/can have.

This is changing as more people are moving to gaming PCs (you've never been able to do as well with one as you can now) and that will continue due to the next generation (at least the PS4 as that's all that has been announced so far) being x86 based, or close to it.

Having said that, it all depends on the games you're playing etc.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Sniper Ash6 said:
It's not like Win 7 is horrendously unstable, slow or has any glaring issues. I'd go as far as saying the same for Win 8 too.
I don't disagree with any of that but the V word that came between XP and 7 meant many people like me who had relatively pricey XP machines just retained them. As an unashamed ThinkPad fanboy, I expect to get a minimum of five years out of one and the one I'm retiring at the moment is seven.

Foebane72

As for me, I'd NEVER go for a Mac in any way, shape or form. iPads seem like a toy to me, and not for really serious use.

Laptops? Never had one. Have used them in the past, though - overheating issues, and the mouse area and keyboards generally suck.

I have had a Desktop PC ONLY since 1995, and that was only because Amiga and Commodore went bust, through no fault of their own (CURSE YOU, Mehdi Ali!!!!) It was also because the PC back then had the greatest game ever (Doom!)

I have used them since, and I'm happy to use them ONLY for as long as they are made, but I don't like to tinker too much inside the cases, as I might break something - but as a result, they don't get cleaned out and will eventually overheat. But how do you apply a full Hoover to a PC's innards?

J/K I know a can of air is really all that's needed, but the last thing I want is a resonating fan keeping me up at night, as I keep my PC on for half-years at a time, if not more.

And I've replaced nearly every part of a PC except the processor and the motherboard - I fear I'd screw it up!

But I'd rather stick to my desktop PC for as long as it is viable. Those iPads and laptops can go HANG, as far as I'm concerned.

NewfieDrool

Banned
Never touch my desktop now. Went down the Mac route and iPads and I'm happy with them.

All my business needs are run of the iPads, just so easy. Most of my accounts are in templates that I fill in daily and simply send off to my companion who does my accounts . Appointments are made on iCal and its so easy to view my spaces for clients. One device talks to the others in a simple fool proof way. It's saved me so much time.

Foebane72

Never touch my desktop now. Went down the Mac route and iPads and I'm happy with them.

All my business needs are run of the iPads, just so easy. Most of my accounts are in templates that I fill in daily and simply send off to my companion who does my accounts . Appointments are made on iCal and its so easy to view my spaces for clients. One device talks to the others in a simple fool proof way. It's saved me so much time.
Yeah, but you have to spend HUNDREDS on that software, right? And it's not compatible with MS Office either, right??

Wahreo

Distinguished Member

I can't disagree with that.

Set it up on one device and it automatically pushes it to everything. Ipad, iPhone and Mac, even sends some things to Apple TV.

It's just the way it should be, these devices are there to be subservient

NewfieDrool

Banned
Foebane72 said:
Yeah, but you have to spend HUNDREDS on that software, right? And it's not compatible with MS Office either, right??
Nope, I use pages which accepts word format and I can save Pages as word format to send off. It's that simple.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Hold on, I just need to get my abacus out to calculate the costings:D

You might be surprised at what Apple stuff can do.

pandemic

I haven't powered up my desktop since 2009, was one of the early quad-core desktops. Mainly because I haven't gamed since then and it's when I got my MBP. Tablets haven't really done it for me, my Nexus 7 is rarely used.

My PC/Laptop buying history:
1997 - First PC Cyrix II x86 Win 95 - 200MHz (actually overclocked from 120MHz)
2001 - Pentium III with a CD writer/DVD Win Me - 1GHz
^--Back in the days when PCs were expensive
2004 - Pentium 4 DVD-writer, 1st PC without a floppy Win XP - 3GHz
2006 - Intel Core2 Quad Windows Vista - 2.4GHz
2007 - First Laptop Intel Core2Duo - dropped it - 2GHz
^--The period during which prices halved and last jump in clock speed per core.
2009 - 15" MBP - Still my primary machine - 2.66GHz
2012 - 11" Laptop Intel Core i3 - 1.8GHz, is my development linux machine was less than £300

There's room for something to replace the MBP, but it has to be light and have a nice hi res. screen. Still looking. So I guess from my buying history it's remained fairly regular.

Sonic67

Banned
I still replace my laptop every three years. I have a tablet but don't use it that much.

TheNameIsJambo

Ask Overclockers.co.uk, Aria.co.uk, Scan.com, Ebuyer.com, etc. etc. if their component sales have fallen! ;)

I agree with Nero on the comment regarding Currys and PC World sales. Not a lot of people stroll in and guy a gaming PC off of the shelves there - Mainly because they're complete guff.

A lot of console gamers are defecting to the PC side - The PC Gaming forum reflects that fairly well - A lot of them ask where they can buy a pre-built rig, and OcUK is usually the go-to site; but we encourage them to do it themselves!

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I'd love to never have to replace the barely used laptop we have.
Unfortunately, despite having an apple and android tablet, I still regularly come across websites that don't work on either and need the PC.
:(

Rog69

Distinguished Member
I'm a PC gamer and I used to build a new PC once a year but my present rig was built in 2006 and the only upgrades that I have done to it have been for maintenance reasons (although I would have probably upgraded the graphics card before now anyway).

With most games being developed for the comparatively ancient hardware of the two main consoles, I haven't felt the need to upgrade my PC when everything has run fine and its only quite recently that I'm starting to struggle to run some of the newer AAA titles acceptably.

I'm planning an upgrade this month and based on the specs of the next gen of consoles, this next machine will probably last me just as long.

internetuser

PCs last longer now.

Our refresh cycle at work has gone from 3 years, 4 years now to 5 years with NBD warranty.

Windows 7 works alot better than both XP and Vista on lower spec hardware, so it has gave a lease of new life to kit.

Frostytouch

TheNameIsJambo said:
Ask Overclockers.co.uk, Aria.co.uk, Scan.com, Ebuyer.com, etc. etc. if their component sales have fallen! ;)

I agree with Nero on the comment regarding Currys and PC World sales. Not a lot of people stroll in and guy a gaming PC off of the shelves there - Mainly because they're complete guff.

A lot of console gamers are defecting to the PC side - The PC Gaming forum reflects that fairly well - A lot of them ask where they can buy a pre-built rig, and OcUK is usually the go-to site; but we encourage them to do it themselves!
Slightly off thread, but I read somewhere that rampant hacking of titles like modern warfare was commonplace in pc gaming world?

I gave up playing ps3 because of all the cheats, left the ps3 for blu rays but now have iPads and Apple TV so it's gathering dust.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom