1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC running 4 40" LCD's ??!!??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Noodle, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My boss at work has very kindly :rolleyes: gone and purchased 4 Samsung 40" LCD screens for our Call Centre and has then tasked me with finding a way of driving them.

I have got 2 problems really:

1) I need a graphics card that will drive them at a resolution of 1280 x 768. The only one I've found so far is THIS and that's a thousand pounds plus for the 4!

2) Ideally, I'd want to run all 4 screens from one PC, along with a seperate monitor as the PC will be remote from the displays. Each display needs to be able to display a different output, with the monitor able to show any of the 4 screens. Is this possible?

I'd be grateful for any ideas or suggestions as to how I could best start to tackle the problem.

:lease:

2. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Right. Well, you're probably going to need 3 graphics cards I'd say. Most modern graphics cards should be capable of driving that resolution, so thats not a problem. The problem is fitting 3 of them in a machine; you have a couple of options:

- One AGP twinhead card for 2 of the 4
    One PCI twinhead for the other 2
    onboard graphics for control monitor/or another pci card

- Two twinhead PCI express graphics cards in an SLI capable motherboard (just appearing on the market now), and again either onboard graphics or a vanilla PCI graphics card for control.

Remember almost all graphics cards now available have dualhead abilities, and so are able to control two screens each.

Another thing to consider is whether you are going to use DVI or standard 15 pin rgb to drive the displays- with DVI the distance from PC to screen is somewhat limited.

3. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    easy dude

get a Dual head AGP card.

2 dual head PCI cards

max £200 for all 3 cards

windows *should* start up, recognise all three cards, give you 6 outputs, and you can do as you please with them.

I currently run 3 17" tfts @ 1280x1024, and my 4th output is going to my soon arriving HS50 ;)

4. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ah, got pipped to the post, i woulndt recommend relying on using an onboard adaptor and a AGP card at the same time, on some M/B's its one or 'tother.

5. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought that most graphics cards would do this resolution too, buy whilst most do indeed go up to at least 1600 x 1200, I'm struggling to find one that will do 1280 x 768.

Does anyone have a link to a card or know that their card will do this res?

Cheers for all the help evryone.

stuthemong, when you run 3 screens, how do you select which scrren to use, and can you duplicate the output from one screen on to 2 or even 3 screens???

6. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    most cards will do 1280x768.

do a search for "powerstrip" it allows custom resolutions.

my 3 screens make a large desktop, so i drag windows from one to teh other. Each display displays its own thing. if you want them to display the same thing, just buy a VGA splitter box. 1 input 4 ourputs, job done.

if you want to run different things on different screens then youll need some more graphics cards.

IT is possible to setup, but you will need some intermediate computer knowledge rre: instlalling graphics cards, and drivers etc.. perhaps you know someone more computer literate?

7. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Loads of cards do 1280*768.

I've used a Geforce 4 TI4200, FX 5900XT and currently a 6800GT and they've all done that resolution.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'd look into Matrox cards for the multi display running. Matrox graphics

9. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Use Matrox, I think they might have even produced a quad card.

Mike.

10. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    For a cheap solution, something like one of these would work, AFAICS. Put "Matrox" and "Custom Resolutions" into Google for the other bit you require.

And why not just use four PC's ?

Mike.

11. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    personally, id go for 2 nvidia 5200 128 meg PCI cards (i have one, and its great).

its fast, can run hidef video, has the memory to run large desktops with full colour, and teh nview multi display software is superb.

12. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok wait! i am assuming this is mission critical, so Matrox are the best option, currently they are one of the best multi monitor gfx card makers around, also what OS is the call center running? you will have to carefully watch the required specs.. best of luck i would personaly go with matrox!

13. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a support analyst for the company anyway so am quite happy configuring the cards. My main problem is that my Boss wants to be able to display the same output on all screens, OR differing outputs, at will.

Is it possible to run 2 completely seperate desktops? If so, how do you switch control between them?

I don't want to use 4 PC's because of cost and ease of use.