1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC resolution problem with TX100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Claude, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have my TX100 connected to my pc via the DVI connection on my ATI 8500DV graphics card. According to the tx100 manual (technical manual) the tx100 supports quite a number of resolutions at various Hertz. The manual says that an resolutions higher than the tx100 lcd panel resolution will be automatically downscaled.

The problem I'm having is that I can only get a picture if I set my computer to 800x600 which is the highest setting without exceeding the tx100 on either axis. Any higher resolutions, despite being quoted by the tx100 manual displays a distorted image on a bright green background.

Is this familiar to anyone, is it possible to find a driver that would produce a 1280x720 resolution? Would love to hear any thoughts on the matter.

Nice one Cyril

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You probably need Powerstrip .. I would post a link but I tried it and their website's gone :eek:, I'll try to discover why.

3. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kragorn,

Seem to remember receiving a reply from you on another occasion to. Appreciated.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I hope it was a correct reply. :)

Okay, the site's back ... Powerstrip allows you to define custom resolutions and refresh rates, as long as your graphics card has the ability .. ATIs and GForces do, not sure about the 8500 specifically but PStrip is shareware so you can try it to see first.

Hopefully that'll sort your problem out.

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    It works at 1280x720 (DVI-HDCP derived for LCD) at 60Hz - I've just tried it (on my monitor anyway).

I'm using Catalyst 4.7 (but if that works there's no reason to suppose that a later version won't work as well, and probably earlier too)

You have to add a custom resolution (1280x720 isn't standard in the driver) and then reboot, and then select this new resolution from the desktop.

Also, check under Display Properties - Advanced - Displays, for the max resolution setting for the monitor - my 8500DV can do some weird stuff if that's set too low.

I use 1280x960 as my normal res, and this works fine if the max res is set at 1600x1200. However set the max res to 1280x768, the display reverts to 800x600, despite Windows saying it's still at 1280x960. I'm sure there's a valid reason for this - I've never really been bothered enough to investigate though!

I'm sure Kragorn is right, and Powerstrip will sort out your probs

(there's also an option to reduce DVI frequency on high res displays - it's in Display settings - advanced - options. I don't use DVI (well I do but with the VGA adapter if you know what I mean), it say to check this if you are experiencing display corruption at higher res settings)

6. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the TX100 and just wanted to confirm that the problem is not there. I use Powerstrip set to 1280X720 via VGA and this works perfectly, much sharper image than with 1024X768 or 800X600

7. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the insight Mikek. Couldn't quite work out the menu directions you gave me though.

I have downloaded powerstrip and tried the 1280x720(DVI/HDCP) thing but I still get the blurred picture.

Interesting Vanderlay, that you have had no problems.

I called the Hitachi help line about this. I asked them if the serial port connection to the projector is required as well as the DVI connection. The chap told me that unless I wanted to control my projector from my computer then it isn't. So I haven't. Could this be the problem. Have I been miss informed?

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    On the desktop, left click the backround, and the select Properties.
    (OOPS - that should of course be right click :) )

From there select Settings, and from there Advanced.

This should bring you to the (XXX) monitor(s) on All-in-Wonder 8500DV Properties page

From there, the Options tab has the "Reduce DVI frequenvy on hi-res displays" option box, and the Displays tab has the bit about the monitor attributes (once in the Display tab window, click the mouse on the word "Monitor" and it'll open a Monitor Attributes window)

If the "Use DDC" circle is ticked, you could try unticking that and then make sure that the Max resolution box (which now becomes"live") is set to a resolution above 1280x720 - I use 1600x1200 (but that's on a monitor). The DDC info is in a box at the top (this is what the PJ reports back to windows at boot-time) - I have heard/read about issues regarding this before but I've never really followed up on them!

Also, make sure that the TV is switched off in the same "Displays" window above (if it's not connected, the picture of a TV will have a red X through a cable next to it)

I'm assuming BTW, that the PJ is the main and only monitor - IIRC I seem to remember that you can't open an overlay window on the secondary display, which is what you need for DVD and TV players etc.

AFAIK, you don't need the serial port connection, so I think the guy at Hitachi is right on that one!

9. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    If you have the DVI-VGA adapter (it should have originally shipped with the card), you could try using a normal VGA monitor cable from the 8500DV to the VGA port on the PJ - if the problem persists, then at least you know it's probably nothing to do with the DVI connection itself.

10. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure that the DVI setting is set to Computer and not DVD..

Mine works OK.. and I don't use powerstrip.

It could also be a cable issue.. I have seen this before when running higher resolutions.. what sort of image do you see ?

Is it a decent cable ... ? I presume this is a DVI to DVI connection your using.

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Hitachi may require a DVI connection to be 60Hz only....

12. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeK,

The reason why I didn't understand you menu directions is because I never had any version of Catalyst installed. I have,until now, been using the original software suite provided by ATI when I bought the card which by the looks of things is way out of date.

So I installed the graphics driver, control panel and WDM thingy from version 4.9. Now I know what your talking about.

The 'Reduce DVI frequency on hi res displays' seemed to have no effect.

The primary display in the 'Displays' tab of advanced settings is of type 'FPD' rather than 'Monitor'. When I click 'FPD' there is no reported max resolution or frequency, however, using powerstrip under monitor info the max resolution is 1280x1024 @60hz when the date is read from the monitor.

The TV in 'Dispalys' is switched off.

Vanderlay,

You said you use 1280x720 via vga. What do you mean by 'via VGA'.

PGRE,

The DVI setting in the Hitachi is set to computer.

The DVI cable is a 10m DVI-D to DVI-D cable. I have had no problems with 800x600. Do you think it could be the cable.

Liam@prog av,

The output frequency of the 1280x720setting is 60hz so that should be fine.

GENERAL FURTHER COMMENTS

I am trying to get a photogragh of the fuzzy image on this thread so you guys can see what im talking about.

Interestingly the image is distorted during the boot up sequence and eventualy becomes clear when the PC adopts the 800x600 setting, until such time in the bottom right hand corner the reported resolution (of the distorted image) is 1280x719 @ 60hz. Could this be significant.

Thanks a thousand times

13. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Claude,

By 'via VGA' I just meant that my computer is not connected to the projector by the DVI conection which my laptop does not have, but with VGA (which is also sometimes referred to as 'computer', 15-pin D-SUB or something else, basically, the most common screen connector for a pc).

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What brand of cable is it? I recall when the Z2 came out, one of the first lower-priced 1280x720 projectors, several people reported problems with Lindy 10m cables, though their shorter ones were fine. Certainly 10m is getting a long way for budget-priced cable trying to pass higher-resolution video streams.

15. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Apologies for the confusion BTW - I erroneously assumed that you would by now be using Catalyst 4.x - drivers which predate Catalyst completely are.....well very old now... :)

You may have to approach this by process of elimination - if you can't determine what isn't working as it should, then determine what IS working as it should.
    How you go about this will depend on what other items you have available (another monitor, another FPD (TFT screen with DVI input), a DVI-VGA converter with a standard VGA cable, etc etc.

How long is the DVI cable BTW?

Your 8500DV has no VGA port, but, in common with most graphics cards, it's a DVI-I connector on the card - this means that as well as the digital signals, it also carries the standard analogue VGA signals in the same connector - what Vanderlay means I think is that he is using a DVI-VGA adapter (which is a cheap adapter that plugs into your graphics card's DVI port and offers the standard 15pin HD VGA connector on the other side - hence you can still use any analogue monitor on the 8500DV (well nearly any)

Well that's what happens when you go for lunch in the middle of a post - Vanderlay has answered your query himself :) , and I now look a total numpty for asking how long the cable is, seemingly after you'd already posted the info :suicide:

16. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Eureka, I have made some progress.

You guys have been brilliant.

I thought I would test the 'DVI cable is too long' hypothesis by creating a display configuration (via powerstrip) with a resolution of 1280x720 but reducing the refresh rate in increments of 1h. At 54hz I now have a decent image. At 55hz it displays well but with bright green stars that twinkle here and there, is this what people call sparklies? So it seems that it has everything to do with cable length if I have understood correctly. Would like your opinion on the accuracy of my conclusion.

If it is the cable I may get a better quality 5m DVI cable. The DVi cable I am currently using is a 'haurtian'. It cost me around £20 so probably is poor quality. For a budget of £50 what cable manufacterers should I be looking at?

One more thing... How does one work out the optimum settings for the front &back porch, synch etc.

17. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To me it certainly sounds like you've identified the cable as the problem.

For quality cables I go toJoe at The Media Factory, not the cheapest but his 50m cables are £51 so that's pretty close. :)

'Fraid I can't help with the PStrip setup, those numbers baffle me, I use presets. :blush: