1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC resetting during downloads

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mekes82, Sep 9, 2005.

1. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi there

I recently built a new PC and everything went fine. A couple of months have now passed and I've run into a little hiccup. Whenever I try downloading torrent files over BitComet, if I reach high speeds of around 350-400kb per second my computer will automatically reset itself. I don't seem to have this problem if I download direct from a website. Im pretty worried because soon I am having my connection set with a free upgrade to a 10mb package.

Has anybody had similar problems to this? My friend has but he just put a limiter on his download speeds. I don't want to have to take that option if possible.

Its probably worth noting I use direct connect from my cable modem, no routers.

Thanks very much,
    Mekes

2. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most cable modems have both USB and ethernet (network) connections. If you are using the USB try changing to the ethernet (you *may* need a cross over cable/adapter).

3. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    My modem came only with an ethernet cable so no USB.

Its strange because I tested it earlier and got 470 for 10 minutes or so with no resetting. It only seems to happen at night time. (spooky!) Im sorry I dont have much to explain on the problem, the computer gives no error messages on bootup or before it turns itself off. But it does go straight off, one moment BitComet, next boot screen.

It also has nothing to do with overheating, Ive checked the temps and they are as standard. What Im trying to do at the moment is get it to crash, then see if I can find any reports on it through ControlPanel/AdminTools/EventViewer. Probably not a good idea, but hopefully I can find some info on it then. Its bound to happen again anyway :rolleyes:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Have you done a virus check recently ?

5. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yeps, I have it set to run twice a week. Just got through one today and it says the system is clear.

6. tinoest

tinoest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sounds like a virus..have you tried running the modem into another pc and downloading to see it still occurs?

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    It sounds maybe more like a TCP/IP sockets problem to me.. what OS are you running XP SP2?

if so there's a tool/util you could do with running if you're using P2P downloads..

I'll try find a link, or even try post it here if allowed..

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    If you're running Win98/Me, you'll need to set the 'max connections' in Bitcomet to 100... anything more and your PC may crash

If you're running XP (SP2) try the utility I've attached, I've used it myself and it seems a fairly safe fix. If you're at all worried, just manually make a backup of tcpip.sys before you apply the fix (there might even be a backup option in this latest build..)

One of these two things should sort you out I think.. :smashin:

If you do use the utility, type 'change' at the command prompt, and set a value higher than the default 50, I use 500 without any probs..;)

Attached Files:

9. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Try a different P2P client? I very much doubt its the speed of the connection, ethernet file transfers are a lot faster than that.

10. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    it's not the speed of the connection, it's the number of concurrent outbound TCP connections that the system can handle.

Win95/98/me fall over and die at 100, nothing that you can do about that..

2000/XP are fine, but XP SP2 introduced a 10-connection limit as a half-arsed anti-virus measure to stop worms spreading... absolutely pointless, and quite restrictive.

I don't even use P2P, but 10 outbound TCP connections is basically a sick joke in some circumstances.

11. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The Dude Im almost certain that you are the man!

I hadnt installed the patch yesterday evening. I left my PC on downloading overnight. I woke up early and found it was at the boot screen once again requesting my password. I signed on and checked my event viewer straight away, where I found this..

Warning Tcpip

Date: 9/13/2005 Source: Tcpip
    Time: 1:53:08 AM

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

10 does seem a rather measly ammount. Ive upped it to 50 to see how I will fare with that. Thanks very much for making me aware of the problem and the patch to fix it. It is very much appreciated, I will forward the patch to my friend who is going through the same problems. I dont think I will be back in this thread now. :)

Many thanks :thumbsup: