PC PVR and Smart TV Control

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by medium rare, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. medium rare

medium rare
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Sorry if this is simple stuff, but relative newbie and much googling has failed to help me.

My current set up is a Humax 160gb freeview PVR connected directly to my TV which is used for watching live TV and recording. I have a PS3 which is used for iPlayer, 4OD, YouTube etc.
    Upstairs is a PC (Win 8.1pro) with abundant spare HDD storage. I have a wired (+wireless) network throughout, all running off the same router. Adding new connections is not a problem.

The TV is at the end of it's life, as is the Humax. Looking at a Samsung Smart TV (probably UE40F7000).

I'd like to replicate if possible all the functions of the Humax on my PC with the same ease of use. I know I need a TV tuner card and some PVR software but my specific question relates to control: is there a solution to allow recordings to be scheduled via the smart TV interface i.e. using an app or similar on the TV the EPG could be viewed and recordings scheduled across the network, and the recorded programmes viewed in a user friendly fashion rather than just filenames.

I know the (probably easier) solution would just be to add a small PC under the TV such as an Intel NUC, or just buy a new stand-alone PVR but it would be nice if there were one less box.

Thanks