• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC Problems...

S

Sarah Nya

Never had something like this before...

Everytime I play a game after about 10 mins or so the screen goes blank and whatever I do doesn't work and I end up having to turn it off and on again. I think it could be a graphics card problem but I'm not sure, it only has ever happened with games though.

Sarah

P.S my drivers are up to date.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Does the PC go dead or just the screen? i.e. do the fans continue to run/optical drives still open etc?

Are you having unusually hot weather in Yorkshire? If so could be overheating.

S

Sarah Nya

Just the screen, everything else seems fine I just can't see nowt!

Alun

Prominent Member
could be gfx card fan.

Get the case off and give it a good hoover out, while your on, check all your fans.

I had a problem with my fan, it was spinning but all the blades had fell off!!

S

Sarah Nya

Oh and yes it's bloody hot here. The cards temp has reached 92 degrees at one point, is that too hot?

Alun

Prominent Member
Depends on graphics card really, but that is awfully hot. The critical temperature for a P4 CPU is 80 degrees

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Yikes, thats far too hot. Take the side off the tower, and put a fan blowing air into the computer.

S

Sarah Nya

I think it's overheating also, too much of a coincidence for it to start in the summer.

It's a GeForce 6800GT MSI.

Any solutions?

Alun

Prominent Member
Isnt that the one with the variable fan speed thingy?

Turn it up full if it is..

I have mine fitted with a zalman silent cooler, its huge but effective.

Alun

Prominent Member
If its the one I'm thinking of, there is a little slider on the top of the card, youll have to take side psanel off.

X

xelallah

Singh400 said:
Yikes, thats far too hot. Take the side off the tower, and put a fan blowing air into the computer.

Top suggestion! I've been doing that all summer. On a long term basis, try to create more space inside your pc (tube IDE wires instead of wide flat ones for example); space out your PCI cards (if possible with your motherboard/case). Have a case fan sucking air in (through a filter if possible) and more blowing out, try to keep the air flowing in the same direction. It'll cost you a couple of quid, but worth doing to help keep your bits cool, computer bits that is!

AML

Prominent Member
Same as whats been said, opening the case up will allow for better air flow. You could add some fans if theres space for them. They are pretty cheap these days.

A bigger case with better air flow could be the best solution in the end though.

Make sure the fan on the card is working properly though. Try to monitor its temp as you are playing and if it goes to high just take a break.

Personaly im using water cooling these days. I recomend it as its more efficient and less noisy!

The last thing you could do is to get an air conditioning unit for your room. If it does get too hot then cool the whole room down. The ambient tempterature is also monitored by some PCs and if it goes high it may shut the card down.

What CPU are u using? Next time you decide to upgrade I recomend going for one of the new cooler CPUs like an AMD FX or the new conroe.

GPUs are also getting smaller therefore cooler so one of the new 7900GT series (no overclocking) will be much cooler than the 6800GT series.

Summer is a pain for computers! :D

S

Sarah Nya

Lovely thanks, it does seem a lot better if I keep the side open.

I think I'll get a new case for it as it is kind of cramped in there! Conroe can wait because although I would love one, I'd need a new MB and I'm putting a new PC together later this year so that will clear the account out enough as it is.

JohnD76

Established Member
Sarah Nya said:
Never had something like this before...

....I end up having to turn it off and on again.

That is really not going to do your machine any good at all.

If it happens again try

Alt+F4 to try and close the application down.

Ctrl+Shift+Escape to bring up Task Manager or the Secure Sign on screen (depends on your machines os/network config);

Ctrl+Alt+Del

or try Alt+Tab to move back to another application.

Hope that helps.

John.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Sarah Nya said:
Oh and yes it's bloody hot here. The cards temp has reached 92 degrees at one point, is that too hot?

wow way to hot i think that is more than an airflow problem (if mine hits 60 degs i have kittens)

if all fans are spinning correctly then i think they need to be removed, cleaned up and reseated with some new heatsink compound.

removing the side panel and wacking a big fan on it is a good short term measure whilst you locate the cause but personally i dint like masking a problem i orefer to fix it ;)

ps i hate typing on my gaming zboard!!!!!

mikeyparkster

Standard Member
i love my 7900gt but its been a pain in the arse dealing with a faulty card... still worth it tho

(beware of this series, its great but could cause problems and inconvenience)

mass failure of cards

Jamesy_UK

Established Member
Another piece of advice, buy a can of compressed air and every month give you machine a good old blast, especially in the space between heatsink and pcb and the fans. First time i air blasted my machine after 6 months i bought temps down 12.c on average the cpu and 18.c on the gfx card.

S

Sarah Nya

Thanks for that, I've got the side off at the mo and it's a lot better but only a short term measure.

I was looking at getting a new case fot it with more fans in anyway so in the meantime I'll avoid using anything that will push the graphics card for now (no more games :(

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
which gfx card is it?
surely AML, you didnt mean the bit about buying a FX just for it to be cooler? lol, they run just as hot as the other amd64's

Steven

Senior Moderator
Not playing games seems a little extreme ;) :D

Do what I did the other day. Take the cover off, then have the fan blowing on the PC's innards instead of yourself. I willingly made that sacrifice :rolleyes: Manchester's really cooled down now so it's a-ok today. In future will have to upgrade the cooling system alongside the GPU :lesson:

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
it has been hot, ive had to put the speed of my cpu down this week :(
but having the comressed air is a good point btw, its great fot getting in the tight bits of heatsinks etc

S

Sarah Nya

Whilst on the subject of Graphics cards etc I'll definately be putting together my new PC around September this year (no more waiting for stuff to come out), I've decided on most things except for the GCard and Monitor.

What would be a good (cool & quiet!) card to go for, I'm not looking for an uber card like the 7950 series what with Direct X 10 around the corner but I would still like something with a little punch to it (single card).

I'm trying to stick below £250 if possible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom