PC Problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by calibradtm, Mar 24, 2006.

1. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    when i turn on my PC the power is there,the fan kicks in,the hard drive spins up but that's it,doesn't get to the first beep and the monitor just shows an amber light.motherboard or cpu faulty? it's an AMD Athlon 3200 64 bit.

2. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    you changed anything recently? move your pc etc?

Check that all the internal components are seated properly and nothing has come lose etc.

Also check that the ram/cpu etc are all properly mounted in the correct place.

Sounds like the cpu to me, if hard drives spin up and fans etc then the motherboard would appear to be ok. IS this a new build or an existing pc that has suddenly stopped working?

3. fantastic dan

fantastic dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Motherboard or CPU. The hard disk would still spin but the motherbaord may not be getting data or anything.

I don't think it would be anything else because the motherbaord usually beeps to signal ram or graphics problems.

You don't way what PSU you are using, whats the total wattage and the amperage on the rails? It could be that the Pu just isn't up to the task of starting the machine.

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I think it's the PSU - there's several power lines used, which could power the Hard Disk and CD/DVD drive as well as fans, but not the actual motherboard.

One assumes that if there's any lights on your motherboard, then they are illuminated? If they are, my money is on the PSU (grab a 550w and be done with it), if no lights, then that's indicative of Motherboard issue.

5. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Try pressing F8 upon booting you should then be able to access the advanced boot screen. select safe mode and press enter. If it boots then you should be able to find the cause of the problem. goto>control panel >administrative tools>event viewer> system. A list of events there will show errors and the type of program that caused it. Or upon booting windows may give the option of error reporting to microsoft, they may be able to direct you to a fix. If you find an application in the event viewer which says error, right click on it and select properties, it will then give you a description of the error.

6. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i've had the pc for about 2 years and it's been fine.i had a power supply problem about 9 months ago and i had a more powerful power supply fitted.the only thing i have changed internally is the graphics card,about a month ago.it's been perfect up to yesterday when i powered it up and nothing happened.the motherboard is a Jetway S755max.

7. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    it is indeed the motherboard that has gone kaput :thumbsdow

8. craigallison

craigallison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try another PSU first. a lot easier than changing the motherboard to find it wasn't actually that.

Craig

9. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    its away having a new motherboard fitted as we speak.apparently the motherboard was 'fried' when we had a power cut and the reconnecting surge did the damage.i had just bought a belkin surge protector too but hadn't got round to plugging the pc power into it :rolleyes:

10. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    watch those belkins - mine fried my psu !

my advice is to have a canary lamp i.e. just a cheap bulb on a cable which you can plug into the ups (with nothing else plugged in at the same time), you should only need to take this precaution if you are switching the ups back on after it being off (that's when mine did its damage), once your lamp has blown or not, you can plug the other things in again and unplug the lamp

*i've just actually read your post properly, and you're talking about a surge protector, not an uninterruptable power supply, aren't you...d'oh !

11. 99Flake

99Flake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds more like a graphics card problem actually. You say that you DON'T get the first beep on POST. That beep is to tell you that there is a display signal, you don't get that so therefore there is a problem. My advice would be try a different GFX card or check that yours is properly seated.

12. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i will see when i get it back.if it was the motherboard surely a new one will see the pc back to normal.if its still faulty then i will know.the graphics card is a nividia and is barely a month or so old.the bloke who came to look at the computer said he had replaced quite a few motherboards for people in the area due to power surges.he did basic tests at my house,tried it without ram installed etc etc.

13. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    does the fitting of a new motherboard also mean the hard disc has to be formatted?

14. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Usually yes, although I replaced a faulty MSI board in a friends XP machine the other day with an old Gigabyte one I had knocking about and XP booted up fine and i just had to reinstall IDE/USB controllers etc..

although usually the PC just blue screens :D

no harm in trying though