PC Problem-shuts down & wont reboot

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by abraxus, Sep 19, 2007.

1. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Hi

I've just bought a new PC and for the first week or so everything was fine and I loaded up all the software I needed and tweaked it just how I wanted it. The PC is a custom built job from CCL using a small Antec Cube case, an asus P5B micro ATX motherboard, core2duo processor and 2600XT graphics card.

However now I've hit a problem. After several days of running with no problems the PC started shutting itself down and rebooting, but seems to stall at the motherboard post screen. Initially it would boot to windows ok but shut down again after a couple of minutes, but after a couple of times it wouldn't even do this and stuck at the post screen.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive is ok, as it wont even boot with the XP disk.

I've had an engineer out and he replaced the motherboard and it all booted up fine, however again after a few minutes it shut down and rebooted into windows. It did this a couple of times until eventually it again wouldn't get past the post screen.

The engineer has taken it back to base to fix and I'm sure they will find the problem and fix it, but out of curiosity does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Many thanks.

2. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    could be overheating in a small case.

Curly

3. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'd expect perhaps the power supply isn't enough - what size is your power unit? Thats what may be causing the problem

4. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Hi Guys

I don't think it's the psu, it an antec 300w unit and with all components running at full power the max power draw should be around 260w. Besides I had it running at full tilt for the first few days playing hi-def video content with no problems.

It could be overheating, that was my first thought, although it shuts down within a couple of minutes even when no applications are running. But again, for the first few days it would run fine for several hours even when under heavy load. I guess it's possible that something may have burnt out on the mobo after a few days, but then the new mobo only lasted a few minutes before going the same way.

Strange. Hopefully the repair guys will sort it out but, but they've had it since Monday and are still "assessing" the fault, although that could mean it's been sitting around waiting for them to get round to it.