PC Pro Magazine Subscription, Worth It?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Sniper Ash6, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    Not quite sure where this should go but here seems suitable (mods if you know of another place that it is more suited to please move it

I am very into computers and tech and the latest going on

From flicking through the PC Pro at college and seeing it in shops is a subscription worth it

i already have a subscription to OXM360 but PCP is less expensive and has more in it

another thing that draws me to it is the joining offer: PC Pro: subscriptions index

what do you think please?

TIA

SA6

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I don't see how you can expect anyone to answer that one, as at the end of the day, it's your money you're spending, not ours.

I would have thought there is pretty much the same, if not more, info to be had for free on the net, tbh.

Only my opinion :)

Anyway, aren't you students supposed to have no money, living in dire poverty and starving? :D ;)

And isn't PC Pro one of those mags you can spend 10 mins browsing through in the supermarkets, to see if you want to buy it or not? :rolleyes:

3. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I personally wouldn't bother...news and reviews should be easy to find on the intewrweb and if there is an interesting article just spend 10min's in the local library reading it while shopping.

Curly

4. tonytiger73

tonytiger73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If it's a magazine you think you'll end up buying regularly then a subscription would almost certainly be worth it.

While it's true that lots of the information/reviews could probably be found on the internet, that's not always the point. I sometimes find reading magazines (whether it be computing or motoring related) makes me aware of new products that I didn't know about (and so wouldn't have known to look for on the net). Similarly hints and tips/problems - often read about things that aren't directly relevant, but maybe useful later on. The other obvious thing about magazines is you can take them with you and read them anywhere - don't need internet access.

Having said all that, I don't subscribe to any magazines myself (though I used to) - as I generally prefer being able to flick through them before buying to see if there is sufficient content that I'm interested in.

5. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    ye it is my money and my choice but the reason i asked is if people know of better magazines that may be cheaper or if they post everything on their site or another site has it all then it may sway my decision a bit

i agree with tony's view that you can take a magazine with you and dont need internet access, a computer or to sit there finding the stuff

i may try the trial and see what its like and if i read it enough and get enough out of it to warrant the subscription

something that i find interesting is that it has a cover disc and many other things yet is thicker but cheaper than OXM360

6. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    In my opinion a magazine is a waste of money, I don't know why you get OXM personally.

7. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    im considering swapping from OXM360 as it will be less money and more to read

i read OXM when i eat breakfast and stuff but find it too short to last the month

8. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    i think im gonna try their offer of pay £1 via direct debit and get 3 issues, free toolkit, the cover dvds, free downloads from them etc

cancel after a month so i still get the 3 issues and see what i think after that

it sounds like a great offer