1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC-Plus 25-31

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Arttu, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Arttu

Arttu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

As my first post on this forum I would like to ask your opinion on a SVS PC-Plus 25-31 sub. My HT lacks a sub and I´ve decided to put my money on a SVS sub. Because of WAF my possible choises are limited to the smaller subs and currently I´m thinking about going for a 25-31+ but I want the sub to go down atleast 20Hz.
    Should I Order it in the factory tuning 25Hz or in the custom 22Hz?

I´ve read tons of posts and a few reviews on different forums but I haven´t found anything on how the 22Hz tuning efects the sub in question. Also can someone tell me how low it goes in room. Any ideas or experiences?

Or would you recommend the 25Hz and the port plug option.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The "custom tuning" to 22Hz must have been a feature that I've missed as I haven't seen anything about it but I would have thought that the standard sub with one port plugged would have been sufficient as that will go below 20Hz.

3. Arttu

Arttu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read in a finnish forum that you can have the 25Hz models tuned to 22Hz if you just mention it in your order. It was said that in the factory they would insert a bit longer than normal ports to the sub and that this would drop the tuning to 22Hz no port blockers required.

Yes, 20Hz is definitely low enough for me. But at least as a comparison I would like to hear some comments about the 22Hz custom tuning to help me decide what to order as I´m likely to stick with this sub for a long time. Please, can somebody tell me something about the drawbacks or advantages of either tuning, standard 25Hz (with port blocker on 20Hz) or the custom 22Hz tuning (with this I wouldn´t use port blockers).

4. Diablito

Diablito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 22Hz tuning option is for the 25-31 PCi model, not the plus model where you can set the tuning yourself...

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    My brother has a PC+ 25-31 with one port block to tune it to 20Hz.

I have a PC Ultra, and I can tell you the PC Plus with 1 port blocked is absolutely incredible. It so very nearly keeps up with an unblocked PC Ultra all the way down.

Adding ports to the PC+ doesn't seem to affect any of its other strengths (i.e. speed and clarity) in anyway at all.
    It is a rediculously good subwoofer and looks neater than the taller unit.

If I were buying again, I would buy 1 or even 2 of these subs without any hesitation whatsoever.

6. Arttu

Arttu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok. I must have been sloppy in reading the mentioned forum. Thanks for clearing this out for me. This kind of helps me in my search for a sub since my options are now more limited.

My bigger concern for using a port blocker was its affect to speed and clarity. So thank you for your comment. Jules can you tell me if the port blocker made it more difficult to get a good response curve (with a SPL meter) for the sub in your brothers listening room . Was the PC Plus easy to fit with his other gear?