pc,playstation hook-up

jayr6666

anyone help,lads and lasses?
just got 2mg broadband in and i want to connect my playstation2 to the net.my modem is usb to pc,do i need a router and new modem?exactly what kit will i need as i dont want to go down the sharing connection road.will wireless be better and will i need usb adaptor as well?costing me a bloody fortune this interweb stuff.going to get kit tomorrow so a speedy reply would be very gratefull.cheers,jay.
ps,i've already got the ps2 adaptor.

noshoulders

ps2 adaptor connects via ethernet (normal network cable) i recommend a netgear 4 port modem router, i have used DG834's and they seem to be very good. Going wireless is up to you, but will probably cost you more money, but sometimes cables arent feasible. anyway your choice. if u go wired youll need an ethernet adaptor for your pc (£10),

www.adslguide.org have a good forum for broadband users, i'm sure someone will have answered this over there.
i'd like to hear how you get on.

jayr6666

thanks m8,
cleared things up a lot for me.only thing is the connection to the pc,will i need a network card?cheers.jay

noshoulders

yes, almost 100% likely u have pci slots in your pc, a pci 10/100 card is next to nothing, ebuyer.com should have them for under £15. a network card and ethernet card are the same thing.

cmatt

you will be able to bridge the connections to your pc (from ethernet card to usb broadband connection) which therefore means you can do it without a router. Simply get a 10/100mbps PCI card from ebay or ebuyer and stick that in, then also get a 'cross over' cable which will allow data to go either way when connected to the pc. Which in turn will allow network gameplay (yes this does work as ive tried and tested it)

more details can be found here:

http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/story.jhtml?storyId=300350_en_GB_GUIDES

and its more pheasable as its cheaper!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom