1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC photos to DVD

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by airlinkuk, Sep 26, 2005.

1. airlinkuk

airlinkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a beginner wanting to transfer my photos from my PC to DVD so I can show them on TV. I understand that I need DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs but would someone advise me if I require DVD Burn solftware to do the job.
    My PC is new and has DVD writer.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the PC has a DVD writer I would expect you to already have burning software .. yes, you do need software to do that.

The most common package is Nero but there ares from the likes of Sonic. Have a good look around your system, see if you can spot something like that.

As far as using RW discs, what makes you think that? Normally Rs are only needed, the only point in using RWs is if you want to be able to re-use them, and sometimes in fact players can't actually handle RWs.

3. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    As stated above,if your computer has a dvd writer it most likely comes with burning software ( nero is particularly good and quite ubiquitous) so to put the pics on disc is a matter of creating a data cd with the files being your pics ( Jpegs most likely).
    Your dvd player may have built in software to read the jpegs and display them on the TV (my panasonics do) but this function is an add on and is not nessesarily one that all DVD players come with. There is software for making Video cds or dvds slideshows from pics. They also allow you put titles music and transitions ( ie slow fades and other fancy digitally created joins) from pic to pic. Some even help you create a menu page if you have more than one set of pics. They tend to be fairly easy to learn and use.
    Uleads pictureshow is one amongst others
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/dps/runme.htm
    This months Digital Photo Magazine ( OCT 2005 issue no 71) also has some DVD slideshow software on test ( £40)
    http://www.photographymags.co.uk/nav?page=photography.contentspage&view_resource=3118738
    As KraGorn stated DVD-R or +R discs are much cheaper and less likely to give yours or your friends dvd players incompatiblilties you can do without
    good luck

4. airlinkuk

airlinkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Senu and KraGorn, most helpful. I have found Sonic in the system so will persue, thanks also for info re discs.