PC Periodically Does Not Wake Up Multiple Screens

Hello Everyone,

I recently built a new PC and it was working fine for a while, and is now having some issues. Upon waking from sleep, every now and then the mouse doesn't work and one or both of the monitors do not turn on. All drivers are current including all windows updates. Nothing is overclocked, temperatures are stable at more than acceptable levels even under heavy loads.

PC Specs:

AMD Threadriper 3960x
MSI TRx40 Creator Motherboard
Samsung 980pro Nvme drive
NVidia 750ti video card (the card is old but was almost never used, hard to replace due to shortage)
128gb Team Group T-Froce Vulcan Z RAM
Corsair Ironclaw wireless mouse using the 2.4ghz receiver
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Any thoughts? Places to start?

Cheers,
Andrew

jimscreechy

What type of system do you have, what is the motherboard? If you turn off/on the monitor manually/power switch, does it then wake up?

What type of system do you have, what is the motherboard? If you turn off/on the monitor manually/power switch, does it then wake up?
I have a MSI TRX40 Creator motherboard. My OS is Windows 10 Pro. Turning them monitor off and on does not change anything. Sometimes turning the receiver and tv on (connected via an HDMI through the receiver) will turn the TV on. However, if this is the case the mouse is always frozen and the computer has to be forced off.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It's certainly not an uncommon issue when using a PC with a TV or through an AVR. Generally speaking it's an issue with the EDID data or possibly the HDCP.

(EDID is the data exchanged between the various HDMI devices advertising the various formats they support like the resolution or sound formats, HDCP is copy protection)

While YMMV I have used a Dr HDMI device successfully with an HTPC that had similar issues, especially when using standby or sleep on the PC.

Amazon product

It's certainly not an uncommon issue when using a PC with a TV or through an AVR. Generally speaking it's an issue with the EDID data or possibly the HDCP.

(EDID is the data exchanged between the various HDMI devices advertising the various formats they support like the resolution or sound formats, HDCP is copy protection)

While YMMV I have used a Dr HDMI device successfully with an HTPC that had similar issues, especially when using standby or sleep on the PC.

Amazon product
So if the issue is the data communication between the receiver and the computer, why does the monitor bit going through the receiver have more issues? Also, why does the computer freeze when this happens? Would a newer graphics card alleviate issues? Is there a certain sequence in which things should be shut off to avoid "miscommunication"?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Can you try to simplify it a bit, maybe try just the monitor connected and with just the TV (with and without the AVR) to see if you can narrow down the issue a bit further?

I've certainly had some success in the past with this sort of HDMI sync issue by changing the way I do things, it's one of the advantages of using a programmable remote for me so it's defenitely worth experimenting, when I bought one of the Dr HDMI devices it was because I'd got sick of waiting much longer to wake from a hibernated state (rather than the sleep state) but this was before fast SSD drives have made even a full start up fairly quick.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom