PC out via DVI to Hyundai ImageQuest A321 LCD TV's HDMI Input?

M

matd

Hi,

I'm trying to output my PC via the DVI output to my Hyundai ImageQuest A321 LCD TV's HDMI socket using a DVI to HDMI cable.

If i try and output 1360 x 768 at 60Mhz the image does not fill the screen, theres a good 6" black border around it when it should be filling the screen and it looks really interlaced.

Does anyone know if i can use a PC on an HDMI port and if so what might be going wrong?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Your TV is probably expecting a standard HD signal (720p, 1080i) rather than a resolution of 1360x768. Try setting 1080i on your graphics card.

What card are you using? You might have some 'overscan' controls if it fairly advanced.

I had much better results using a VGA cable rather than DVI/HDMI.

I think it's time someone put together a FAQ on this...

Dan L

Yep, HDMI is not an ideal choice for PC use as it is generally not very flexible when it comes to resolutions. I'm surprised you get a picture at all at that resolution :)

Like Stiggy says, 1280x720p or 1920x1080i should work.

Depending on your graphics hardware you may want to use Powerstrip to force the resolutions/refresh rates that you want.

robinthakur

I was under the impression that since you could convert between hdmi and dvi that the resolutions supported would be fairly interchangeable and independent of the connection method anyway (assuming its HDMI/DVI)! When the Native res. of the panel is 1366x768, I can't see why there's any confusion displaying this native format when you set a pc to output that res over a DVI -> HDMI adaptor. If the TV can't even do that, then it is, frankly, a fairly badly thought out product. I aim to use this pc with media centre upscaled to the native res of the screen at 1:1 and if it can't do that, then its going straight back to Aria tomorrow.

CoolCurly

Novice Member
The TV will show whatever the card gives "out" to the set.

At the moment, VGA cards running "HD" sources are very rare but ATi and Nvidea are launching them later in the year.

Many people have linked the 360's upto it and have been blown away by the image so Im guessing its more to do with your PC settings then the TV.

PC Monitors and TVs are two seperate entities.

Downinja

EDID on the A321 only supports 1280x720 over HDMI.

Get yourself a DVI-VGA cable and it supports 1360x768 (and looks oudles better with 1:1)

robinthakur

With respect to Cool Curly, this is definitely a fault or at least an oversight. Monitors and TV's are different beasts (or at least, they are on different pages in your rep's catalogue), but both have a native resolution of the panel and a native frequency which that resolution runs at.

I'm sure many people have been driving the screen with an X360 through the analogue *VGA* input, but this is not what i'm intending to do with mine as its not digital. I'm not especially concerned whether they were blown away, I've seen the same setup running to HD, and was not so enthused as i've been using upscaled projectos and plasmas for years and know what benefits using a DVI connection brings to the table...

Considering that the vga input accepts the same signal, and the HDMI port is basically a newer "Backwards compatible" version of a DVI port but with audio provisions, the fact is that the TV is capable of accepting 1366x768 through the HDMI port, but that the EDID in the TV is misreporting its own capabilities. I would like this fixed by whoever designs the firmware as its just not on. While some users are happy to make do with a VGA connection, I would insist on having a digital signal driving the screen, as that is what i intended when i forked over the cash for the screen, and i don't see why i should have to compromise when I'VE JUST BOUGHT IT!!!! There are lots of other screens out there that seem not to batt an eyelid at this, so its not just me with the problem. :mad:

Having bought the TV from Aria, the options are in descending order of desirability

1. Phone Aria Technical support and pay 60p per minute. Yes...you read that right, its a premium rate number for them to support products which they sold you.

2. Phone Repairtech and get fobbed off by some pissant who does not understand what the issue is and is less concerned with fixing it combined with waiting upto 16 days for a replacement (which is probably a reconditioned model) which wouldn't fix the problem anyway as its a problem with the hardware...

3. Send the set back to Aria as RMA and incurr a huge charge for the postage.

My my, I'm so glad I bought a Hyundai! Thanks *so* much everybody for the glowing reviews. Still could be worse, I could have bought it from Ebuyer.

R

Downinja

The point is a little moot with HDMI though, as the xbox will only output a 720p (and thus 1280x720) signal anyway.

The only reason you would need the HDMI port to support 1366x768 is if you are inputting from a PC, which the manual clearly states it isn't intended for.

That said I would love them to sort it, as a digital input from PC would be much appreciated.

Ohh and aria customer support is 0870

Repairtech gave me an answer within 40 minutes today and were most helpful

And Aria don't charge for returning the screen, they even collect.

robinthakur

Thanks for your reply, although Aria told me that they could not deal with my query over the 0870 number and that I would have to call Premium Rate Technical Support at 60p per minute! My query was "Can you do 1:1 pixel mapping over the HDMI port using a DVI adaptor. I'm annoyed because i can't dial this number from work without having to request premium numbers to be enabled on my deskphone...:D However, If they'll pick it up and refund me free of charge then I'm not as worried as I was...but I'll reserve judgement until it happens...

I don't see why the HDMI is res limited in the first place, as all standard consumer AV kit, outputs fairly standardised HD and SD signals anyway; the only thing you would need the extra resolutions for is PC use, which is functionality which the panel supports, so what's the big deal about enabling it over the digital connection. When a DVI socket would have coped just fine with both even though DVI+sound = HDMI it makes you wonder why anyone would buy a TV with HDMI sockets when they are not as interchangeable for DVI as is the common misconception. At least, not in this case!

Downinja

I agree 100% with you, seems rather stupid to me, but the manual does state that VGA is for use with a PC.

If you are returning it, you might want to consider the Q321 as that will do 1:1 over DVI I believe.

WibXL

daniel_owen_uk said:
The point is a little moot with HDMI though, as the xbox will only output a 720p (and thus 1280x720) signal anyway.
The 360 can go up to 1360*768 with a VGA cable, unfortunatly the TV still shows it as 1280*768 though for some reason.

WibXL

robinthakur said:
daniel_owen_uk are you 100% sure that the Q321 does 1:1 over dvi? I ask because the www.pixelmapping.wikispaces.com states that both the a321 and q321 will do 1:1 over dvi...which is a little wrong. If it does do 1:1 over digital, then I'll buy that!

R
T:hiya:
The DVI version of the A321 does do 1:1 over DVI as does the Q321 as far as I know.

Isleman

robinthakur said:
daniel_owen_uk are you 100% sure that the Q321 does 1:1 over dvi? I ask because the www.pixelmapping.wikispaces.com states that both the a321 and q321 will do 1:1 over dvi...which is a little wrong. If it does do 1:1 over digital, then I'll buy that!

R
T:hiya:
I got a q321 and yes it does 1:1 over dvi . Image is superb.

Downinja

WibXL said:
The 360 can go up to 1360*768 with a VGA cable, unfortunatly the TV still shows it as 1280*768 though for some reason.
How? I looked on mine last nigth and the options were 720p or 1080i (admittedly that was with component plugged in, but I have a VGA cable).

WibXL

daniel_owen_uk said:
How? I looked on mine last nigth and the options were 720p or 1080i (admittedly that was with component plugged in, but I have a VGA cable).
When you use VGA you can choose those resolutions.

16to9

Novice Member
daniel_owen_uk said:
I agree 100% with you, seems rather stupid to me, but the manual does state that VGA is for use with a PC.

If you are returning it, you might want to consider the Q321 as that will do 1:1 over DVI I believe.
I've got a Q321 which does do 1:1 over DVI (or at least 1360x768 anyway) and the picture's great.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom