PC or Console?

cunnas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have some very basic questions that I am hoping you lot can answer for me!

Just to give you a bit of background. I used to be a big PC gamer in my younger days but when I ended up getting my own place 15 years ago I moved over to console gaming - I liked the idea of playing games on a big TV in the comfort of my own home with a pad rather than hunched over a desk on a mouse and keyboard.

Over the last few months I have started to stream a lot of movies from my main (fairly high spec-ish) PC in the conservatory on to a very basic laptop under my TV via Kodi. I've had a lot of discussions on these forums about HTPCs/media PCs and the like but I got thinking last night about something that might give me the best of both worlds.

I love my PS4 and use it nightly but the games I play (FIFA, Assassins Creed, Battlefield) are all available on a PC too - and often cost significantly less to buy. The other thing I use on the PS4 is Netflix but this is also available from my TV and would be from a PC.

Therefore, I am considering selling my PS4 and basic laptop and putting the funds towards a gaming PC to sit under my TV.

Before I make this move I just wanted to ask some basic questions if that is ok?

Is there a good controller for PCs? Something equivalent to Xbox or PS4?
How much would a gaming PC likely cost given I want something that can be as good (but hopefully a lot better) than my PS4
What should I be looking for? I am assuming I need something silent but also small? Do smaller components such as a GPU cost a lot more?
The size of my main PC is HUGE but to be honest, for what I use it for, it is a little overkill - could I potentially use some of the memory from that in the new PC (it's full size) - or do all components in a small (are they called small form factor?) PC have to be small too?
I rarely use Blu Ray but wouldn't want to lose that aspect from the PS4 so would a BR drive fit in a small PC?

Apologies for what might seem some basic questions but I am MASSIVELY new to this!

If your main PC is fairly high spec, then stream your games to your laptop (via Steams streaming service) and attach either a 360 pad or a steam controller.
If you want to buy from scratch, then a "decent" gaming pc can be had for less than £500, but a good one that will last you a while is in the region of £7-800 upwards. Check out the sticky at the top of the page for an idea of costs (pre-built will cost a bit more, normally £100 extra).

thanks @aslird - if you stream though I am assuming the quality of the graphics is only as good as the laptop (which is absolutely terrible and only good enough for Kodi)? And I guess that also means I always have to have my main PC on?

No, the quality of the graphics is a good as the base machine, not the receiving machine. Assuming your laptop isn't a potato, it will be fine for streaming to, as all it is really doing is showing you a video - all the work is done via the main system.

Steam In-Home Streaming

No one has mentioned Nvidia Shield TV yet.
I think this could be your answer.
You can put Kodi onto it, even Netflix.
You can also stream games from your PC. Assuming you have an Nvidia card and is relatively good spec then your good to go.
You can then play your PC games (most of them) on the big screen!

You will need your main machine to be in to do any streaming from it yes.

nice one, cheers all. I think the nVidia Shield might be the way to go as I was looking in to this anyway as a Kodi box. Thanks - will take a look

I think you may have missed some fo black friday deals but I got mine from vnvidia store for £120 which included the remote. (Make sure you get the remote)

yeh probably mate. That said, I have been reading some reviews and I'm swaying a little. I kind of want a Windows PC as I do intend to use it as a "PC" as well as a media streamer and games PC and I want something that is a console beater - otherwise I will stick with that I have. I want to be able to run games at full pelt (something I am not overly sure my main PC can do) and I don't really like the idea of having to have my main PC on to be able to stream games.

So, I think a gaming PC is the way to go even though the cost is going to be 5 fold over the nVidia.

Build a PC to sit in your living room. I would recommend spending approximately £800 for an i5 / GTX 970 combo that will :censored: all over your PS4 but feel free to spend more, we'll happily help. The Xbox 360 gamepad is essentially plug and play standard these days, but the Xbox One gamepad works too and the Steam Controller has potential. The PS4 gamepads will work too with a little effort.

I think streaming should be left to an occasional enjoyment with the majority of your gaming sat alongside your machine, whether that be bedroom, study or living room. Depending on distance, HDMI and USB extensions can be run 10 to 15 meters to a different room and will perform much more reliably than streaming.

If the big box is a problem there are some incredible small form factor cases out there. I reckon you're better off with the flexibility of a standard sized tower if you can find a home for it in your living room. It doesn't need to live under your TV, stick it in the corner and run an HDMI behind the bookshelf. All my boxes are in a cabinet in the corner, I like my wall mounted plasma uncluttered.

I made a similar transition to you 3 years ago and absolutely no regrets other than the teammates I left behind. One day, they too will see the light and ascend to the Master Race, I'm sure.

I always run with consoles for the first couple of years in their life span as they tend to be very close the PC in that period and I prefer their true plug n play nature but after that PC it is for sure. I've just abandoned my PS4 seeing Falllout 4 and Battlerfont on my PC in comparison, kept the PS4 as the BluRay player and use the PS4 controller on the PC as I still think that is the best controller out there.

How can I use the PS4 controller on a PC?
Build a PC to sit in your living room. I would recommend spending approximately £800 for an i5 / GTX 970 combo that will :censored: all over your PS4 but feel free to spend more, we'll happily help. The Xbox 360 gamepad is essentially plug and play standard these days, but the Xbox One gamepad works too and the Steam Controller has potential. The PS4 gamepads will work too with a little effort.

I think streaming should be left to an occasional enjoyment with the majority of your gaming sat alongside your machine, whether that be bedroom, study or living room. Depending on distance, HDMI and USB extensions can be run 10 to 15 meters to a different room and will perform much more reliably than streaming.

If the big box is a problem there are some incredible small form factor cases out there. I reckon you're better off with the flexibility of a standard sized tower if you can find a home for it in your living room. It doesn't need to live under your TV, stick it in the corner and run an HDMI behind the bookshelf. All my boxes are in a cabinet in the corner, I like my wall mounted plasma uncluttered.

I made a similar transition to you 3 years ago and absolutely no regrets other than the teammates I left behind. One day, they too will see the light and ascend to the Master Race, I'm sure.

Thanks mate that is really helpful.

I definitely want a PC under the TV but my only concern right now is budget as I don't want to go half in and regret it later.

Small form factor is definitely the way I want to go and if I can use my PS4 (or buy an Xbox controller) then that is fantastic.

How can I use the PS4 controller on a PC?
i use inputmapper Home
very easy to use , and i and use it all of the time
download it , will download any software thats needed , and when your ready to play just start inputmapper and then you can play games with the ds4.
some games don't need inputtmapper to work like farcry 4 and last years assassin creed
as long the ds4 is connected to the pc wired or bluetooth there will work with the ds4

one thing to bare in mind it needs to wired
you can use a bluetooth dongle , but i found this to be very hit and miss ,
so i just stuck with the micro usb cable and it works .

Last edited:
In general the pc is great but if you play a lot of multiplayer you might get a shock. There are some real elite gamers on PC who think it's fine to constantly hurl abuse at more casual gamers like me who are not at their level. It's a bit sad really.

in terms of graphics (and possibly sound) - if I have a £700 PC gaming system with a pretty good GPU, will this give me a much better experience than on the PS4?

This is one of the killer points for me as I actually find the PS4 fine, in fact more than fine, but I am looking at streamlining and if I can have a PC for gaming AND movies, in my eyes thats better than a PS4 and laptop/Kodi streamer.

I've never quite understood the 60fps thing that crops up a lot. I can't knock the PS4 - I love my PS4 dearly! Will I be blown away with gaming on a PC?

I suppose I could actually try on my main PC - in fact I might well do that tonight.

In terms of a controller, what is best to use for a PC? I'm not fussed about doing a custom thing with the PS4 so would probably go for an Xbox controller. Do the wireless ones work out of the box? I'm assuming not?

Seems your happy with a PS4 if only it did network media. You do know it does that right? The built in media player pulls in stuff from my homeserver and plays them fine.

I know mate but I also use Kodi for a streaming service I pay for that isn't exactly official and I know that doesn't work via the browser on PS4 as I've tried already. The streaming service can also be accessed via plex which the PS4 does have but from what I understand, to use plex on the PS4 you have to sign up to the plex premium service - that would kind of solve all the issues I am having but I can't really justify the cost (even if it would be tiny in comparison to a new PC)

in terms of graphics (and possibly sound) - if I have a £700 PC gaming system with a pretty good GPU, will this give me a much better experience than on the PS4?

This is one of the killer points for me as I actually find the PS4 fine, in fact more than fine, but I am looking at streamlining and if I can have a PC for gaming AND movies, in my eyes thats better than a PS4 and laptop/Kodi streamer.

I've never quite understood the 60fps thing that crops up a lot. I can't knock the PS4 - I love my PS4 dearly! Will I be blown away with gaming on a PC?

I suppose I could actually try on my main PC - in fact I might well do that tonight.
yes the pc will give better visuals than the ps4 or xbox
i have played many hours on bf4 on the ps4 and still do a bit ,but when i got into pc gaming i bought bf4 which was cheap at the time and still is . and OMG < and don't use these words at all > it looks 20 times better than the ps4 , going back to play on the ps4 it's okish , but i'd rather play on the pc now because it looks that much better .
tomb raider is an other game , all tho remastered for new gen consoles it looked pretty on the ps4 , but again it was tones better on the pc and i mean tones better .
i have gtx 970 which is my gaming pc that i use all of the time , but i also have a gtx 950 in my htpc which has bf4 , tombraider and enslaved on to test/play with , and again with a decent but not expensive gpu the gtx 950 looks and plays so much better than my ps4 and still hits that magic 60fps number.
there are games on the ps4 that will play at 60fps ( the last of us and the uncharted collection ) which i have to name a few ,
if you have played them then you'll how smooth the game looks and plays compared to a game that plays at 30pfs ,
but when start to go over and play games at 100/120fps then you start to see the difference in gaming on the PC .

yes the pc will give better visuals than the ps4 or xbox
i have played many hours on bf4 on the ps4 and still do a bit ,but when i got into pc gaming i bought bf4 which was cheap at the time and still is . and OMG < and don't use these words at all > it looks 20 times better than the ps4 , going back to play on the ps4 it's okish , but i'd rather play on the pc now because it looks that much better .
tomb raider is an other game , all tho remastered for new gen consoles it looked pretty on the ps4 , but again it was tones better on the pc and i mean tones better .
i have gtx 970 which is my gaming pc that i use all of the time , but i also have a gtx 950 in my htpc which has bf4 , tombraider and enslaved on to test/play with , and again with a decent but not expensive gpu the gtx 950 looks and plays so much better than my ps4 and still hits that magic 60fps number.
there are games on the ps4 that will play at 60fps ( the last of us and the uncharted collection ) which i have to name a few ,
if you have played them then you'll how smooth the game looks and plays compared to a game that plays at 30pfs ,
but when start to go over and play games at 100/120fps then you start to see the difference in gaming on the PC .

Thanks mate that's interesting. With regards to your htpc, do you need small components or is the gpu you mentioned just standard size?

That's what I'm trying to get my head around. I'm ok at building standard machines but I'm totally new to the small form factor thing so a bit unsure about what I'm looking for.

Hi mate I may be able to help, I was in the same boat and decided to build a gaming PC, did loads of research and came up with the following components:-

Intel i5 4960k CPU
ASRock Z97E-ITX Mobo
Evga GTX970 SSC (this is one of the shortest GPUs at this level 10 ins)
8GB Kingston Hyper X RAM
Silverstone SX500w PSU
Silverstone SG05 Sugo Case
Xbox One Wireless adapter
Samsung 250gb Evo SSD

I had a 1tb laptop drive and use and an Xbox Controller from my Xbox One

Came to a little over £700 and this is a small form factor that's hidden under my tv cabinet out of sight.
If you play with the settings a little you will be blown away at the quality difference, I thought my PS4 was good!
Also I have it so it is a Plex server, boots straight to Kodi with WOL using my phone can then use Steam Launcher from there to get straight into big picture and the start gaming, so you can have a kind of console experience with superior visuals and kodi.

Got GTA V to settings I like the weekend and my jaw hit the floor!

Thanks mate that's interesting. With regards to your htpc, do you need small components or is the gpu you mentioned just standard size?

That's what I'm trying to get my head around. I'm ok at building standard machines but I'm totally new to the small form factor thing so a bit unsure about what I'm looking for.
my htpc is a
FD node 304
msi z97 gaming arc (itx board)
g3258 cpu
8gb of corsair ram
evga 600w psu
b'quiet dark rock 3 cooler < which isn't small but still fits in the case
gtx 950 standard size < you can get smaller size, same version
the only parts i had look out for where the mobo, i needed a ITX one so that it would fit into the case , as the case would only fit a itx mobo
all other parts are standard size

what i think may best here , is find a case that you like but also fits around your tv/living room ..say in/under your tv cabinet
there a good few small case
like these
node 304 Node 304 Black
node 202 Node 202
silverstone sg05 Silverstone Sugo Mini ITX Case - SG05BB-450 USB 3.0 - Scan.co.uk
but there loads more , you might have the space for larger case

find what you like , report back and im sure we can then set you on your way to finding the parts you need to fill it .

I've never quite understood the 60fps thing that crops up a lot.

Smoothness and response, the game just feels better during play. Have a look at this video but to be honest its something you would notice more during play

In terms of a controller, what is best to use for a PC?

For me the Xbox360 or X1 due to the 'native' support. You would need these to use them wireless or they just plug straight in with a USB cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Wi...ds=Official+Xbox+360+Wireless+Gaming+Receiver

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wirele...+Xbox+one+Wireless+Gaming+Receiver+windows+10[/QUOTE]

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
thanks again all.

The reason I am so hung up on the specs and whether I need standard or "special" small components is I have a good PC already in the conservatory/office (ooh how posh!). The thing is, it is a big thing, with a massive CPU cooler and loads of fans so it is FAR too noisy for the front room. However, if I can use the components in it and fit these in a smaller case with a quiet PSU I am going to save a fortune. I could probably get away with a decent laptop hooked up to my monitor in the office as it's just for office type work.

So, with that in mind (and again I am massively sorry if these are dumb questions - and perhaps ones you can't answer)....

My current GPU is a GTX 660 - is this good? It is huge - would this fit in a smaller case?

I also have 16GB RAM (4x4) - this is standard size - would this fit in a smaller case?

Do you need a special kind of mobo for smaller ITX cases?

I have an i7 CPU which has a massive cooler on. The cooler only just fits in my standard/big case so is obviously a no go on an ITX case - would this run ok when gaming in a smaller case as when I got my main PC it was hammered home that I needed a good CPU cooler

Just thought of yet another daft question!

I've been a console gamer for years - almost 15 in fact since I last touched a PC game.

Because of that I have become accustomed to the pad method of playing in FPS games like BF4 and the like - assuming I go with an Xbox controller, will this work in these games on a PC or are they still very much mouse/keyboard combo games?

As I said right at the beginning, I like gaming on the sofa now - I'm sat in front of a PC for 10 hours at work so the last thing I want when I get home is to recreate that once the kids have gone to bed! So a pad is a must

You'll find pretty much most games will be fine with a controller.

You'll get your arse handed to you now and then from K/M players as its the more accurate and quicker method but overall its fine. I dont use K/M at all unless its a game like Diablo or an MMO, even then i have the nostromo pad which helps a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom