PC only turns on when it feels like it

N9T-

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok, so basically I have a Mesh PC, around 4-5 years old. It's been working fine up until the past couple of weeks when I went to turn it on as normal and nothing happened, I checked that the cables were all ok and tried again but it still didn't want to know. A few hours later I pressed the button and on it came and worked normally. It stayed working fine until a few weeks later when it did it again so I decided to take it apart and give it a good clean(it was caked up with dust), put it back together and it turned on as usual. Anyway, we've been having a bit of an on/off relationship since then where it'll work perfectly fine for a few weeks and then randomly won't want to turn on for a day or two, I press the button and get literally nothing, as though it's not even plugged in, it doesn't try and boot or anything and the fans don't try to spin etc, only the little green light inside stays on. So when it works, it works fine but when it doesn't, it just doesn't at all.

I tried looking up the problem but none seem to match mine, a few seem to suggest it's the psu but wouldn't that fail while the computer is on as well? As I said it works totally fine once it's actually on, it's just getting it on is occasionally a problem. I'm thinking it's perhaps just the button itself? Any thoughts?

Thanks

a few seem to suggest it's the psu but wouldn't that fail while the computer is on as well?

Not necessarily, but it could well be the button. Have you taken the front of the case off to see whether the switch is separate?

Ok, so basically I have a Mesh PC, around 4-5 years old. It's been working fine up until the past couple of weeks when I went to turn it on as normal and nothing happened, I checked that the cables were all ok and tried again but it still didn't want to know. A few hours later I pressed the button and on it came and worked normally. It stayed working fine until a few weeks later when it did it again so I decided to take it apart and give it a good clean(it was caked up with dust), put it back together and it turned on as usual. Anyway, we've been having a bit of an on/off relationship since then where it'll work perfectly fine for a few weeks and then randomly won't want to turn on for a day or two, I press the button and get literally nothing, as though it's not even plugged in, it doesn't try and boot or anything and the fans don't try to spin etc, only the little green light inside stays on. So when it works, it works fine but when it doesn't, it just doesn't at all.

I tried looking up the problem but none seem to match mine, a few seem to suggest it's the psu but wouldn't that fail while the computer is on as well? As I said it works totally fine once it's actually on, it's just getting it on is occasionally a problem. I'm thinking it's perhaps just the button itself? Any thoughts?

Thanks

I had this exact problem with a Corsair PSU. It all started with the PC not starting up first time, the power would just not come on. I had to leave it a few minutes (power on at the wall) and then it would come on. Over time this gradually happened more often and the time I had to leave it increased until one day it just wouldn't start up at all. A quick swap out of the PSU and the PC has been fine ever since.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom