PC online gaming (for a change) on NTL

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by graham.myers, Jan 30, 2003.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We cant get BT broadband in our street as we're too far from the exchange :(

I've talked (eventually) to NTL and i can have thier sevice.

However I have a few questions about thier cable modem.

I want to use EVE when it gets released.

I would like to set up a router/firewall and a wi-fi link.

is this possible using NTL and what kit has anybody used for this.

I have a 10mb 5port mini hub at the mo connecting my server, desktop and laptop.

I want to the broadband connection to be upstairs in the office

only the desktop need plugging in up there.

I want a wi-fi connection so the laptop and in the future X-Box live plugging in downstairs.

I'm also concerned about the cable modem's firewall support - ie does it have any

thoughts? recommendations

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    You can use any cable technology based wireless router you want.

The cable modem supplied by NTL, likely will have no firewall. This is not a problem you can either install a software firewall like Zonealarm, or buy a router with NAT and firewall.

You only need one box and that is the wireless router, something like this :-

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Sho...9&Description=&Submit2=::+GO+::&ProductID=248

You will find that cable connections are extremely simple to configure (ie you don't need to configure anything except adding in your username and password), unlike the ridiculous amount of settings that can affect an ADSL connection. Cable is a far better solution, I am only on ADSL because Telewest won't service my flat. Since moving to ADSL, I have been an unhappy net bunny! Despite being on the fastest provider :(

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    super duper thanks for the reply

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
  5. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just got this very game a few days ago for free, but i have only played FPS online, is this type of game any good online?

Do u need to be experienced in role playing games as i a complete novice, wouldnt wanna spoil everyones game by being a retard online.

:clap:

6. najo

najo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ppl! i have an NTL settop box modem and an internet connection of 300K, however i cant connect to any of the online games sites via the PS". The settings wizard never "makes a connection with the server" can anyone help!! does anyone have the settings i need to input manually, e.g. the gateway IP, username etc. . .
    any help is appreciated thanks