pc on hdtv? how?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrchimps, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mrchimps

mrchimps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking to try and connect a pc with a GForce fx 5200 video card to my 37"hd lcd tv.

I was thinking this would be simple as vga connection, but the tv dont have vga. So i tried s-video quality was poor cant read text etc. I idealy want to use the pc as a bit of a hub in the front room to surf the web so quality has to be good.

The only other idea i have is to get a vga - ypbpr (as the lcd tv does have comp) any one know if this would work or what quality would be like?

or have another suggestion?

apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I thought id have better luck in here than the lcd thread.

2. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Has your graphics card got DVI output? if so, just get a DVI to HDMI cable for a few quid.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/88444

If no DVI output, you might want to consider upgrading the card anyway as its not really going to be upto playing HD content if thats what you've got in mind.

Something in the ATI 2400/2600 range will do you though, starting at around 27 quid.

Otherwise, i'm not sure there is anyway to get VGA onto your panel. Can anyone else confirm that??

3. mrchimps

mrchimps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi many thanks for that.

Do you know if the quality will be ok for text reading etc?

many thanks

4. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    A lot depends on how your panel takes and deals with the feed from your graphics card.

Ideally you want your graphics card resolution set to the native resolution of your LCD. usually 1366x768 for 720p panels and display this exactly pixel for pixel, this is called 1:1 pixel mapping. If your panel supports this, then there should be no problem. It'll be just like having a big monitor!!

if you've got a 1080p panel, the resolution is 1920x1080.

It might be worth doing a search for your panel on here. Quite a useful site.

http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/

Don't fret it your panel can't do 1:1 mapping, it still might make a decent fist of displaying high resolutions using its internal scaler. best way is to get the cable and start to experiment to find something that suits. remember you can use the DPI setting in windows to get bigger fonts and change the font size in IE or Mozillia too.

5. mrchimps

mrchimps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will have a gander.

many thanks

6. mrchimps

mrchimps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to update on this - bought a 3m dvi>hdmi cable today and quailiy is far superior. not quite pixel for pixel & the refresh rate is probably a bit out.

But I will have a bit of a fiddle and read through tonight.

many thanks for the advice mickwall.

7. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    not a problem, glad to hear you're getting somewhere with it!! :clap: