PC not picking up receiver if switched on afterwards

thechicken

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on Windows 8 using the AMD High Definition Audio driver over HDMI that goes as follows.

PC -> Teac AG-D200 -> TV.

The AMD driver is latest (per AMD auto-update). I did have Realtek drivers which sort of worked but I uninstalled them to get XBMC Frodo working properly. Since then if I turn the receiver on after the PC, I can't configure the AMD HDMI Output to be 5.1 (and it doesn't work at all.) If the PC is restarted (or the Amp is switched on before the PC) it works as intended.

I found this thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...hdmi-audio-device-onkyo-av-pre-amp-issue.html which seems to be the same problem, and there was a fix using a batch file to restart the AMD driver (enabling and disabling the device does not work), but I can't seem to get devcon working on Windows 8 (the list just closes, and writing to a text file just creates a blank text file)

Anyone have any experience/idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also my GFX card is a 5770. I found this thread, which I'm not sure if it's the same as the issue I'm having http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-overrides-to-solve-bitstreaming-issues-for-ati-5xxxs

If so is the problem exclusive to the 5xxx series of cards? I have a new card on the way (a 7950), will this fix itself?

Last edited:
Does the receiver show in the playback devices? Look in Sounds in the Control Panel.

If the receiver is listed is it just a case of selecting it as the playback device?

Does the receiver show in the playback devices? Look in Sounds in the Control Panel.

If the receiver is listed is it just a case of selecting it as the playback device?

It shows up as AMD HDMI Output when on or off (I guess because of passthrough?) Clicking properties gives a max channels of 2, whereas if I then restart the PC (with the receiver on the whole time) I can choose 5.1 and it works as I'd expect.

Bump, my 7950 arrived and the same happens, anybody have a solution? Annoying having to restart PC if I want to have sound.

Read up on the Gefen HDMI Detective and decide if the annoyance of your problem outweighs the cost of the device.

I've got an onkyo receiver and a 5670 card and under windows a HDMI detective did solve a lot of my problems under windows. However under Linux it created more problems than it solves. If your install is specifically for xbmc then a cheaper way would be to consider using a Linux distro like xbmcbuntu or openelec. If you're sticking with windows then a hdmi detective is very useful.

Although, with the price of the HDMI detective being so high, it sort of makes a new receiver a viable option.

I had loads of problems with my Sony AVR, but all were fixed when I bought a Yamaha RXA810, which has a passthrough option. 95% of the time I have no connection issues, on the 5% of the time when I lose audio, quickly powering the AVR on and off via the remote fixes it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom