1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC......not HTPC.......Yet

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sticker, Jul 2, 2003.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I wonder if I can pick peoples brains for a few moments. I want to build myself a PC that can do the following;

1) Surf the net
    2) Play games
    3) Run office software (MS)
    4) Perform digital photo editing

But it must have the following
    1) Small size
    2) Quiet
    3) Reasonably upgradable with standard PC components

It doesn't have to be an all singing all dancing HTPC as I have a pretty reasonable setup at the moment.

I'm OK with putting this together, having constructed around 20 PC's in the past, but with one thing or another I'm not up to speed on the current PC scene having concentrated on other things for the last 18 months or so. Obviously things have moved on considerably since then, hence this thread

Any help with hardware/software components needed would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    John

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    well it all depends on what sort of games you want to play as to what hardware you should get - there's no point in going all out if you only intend play mine sweep lol

still. as a basic rule:

for all out power you should go intel p4
    for ausome value for money go AMD athlon XP.

before any definate hardware can be suggested though, you need to decide on what size case you want, how serious 'a gamer you are and how much money you want to spend.

my personal favourite combination is basically what i have myself:

abit nf7-s
    AMD xp1700+
    512mb ddr
    ati r9700 non-pro
    slk-800 heatsink

it's stupidly cheap and stupid overclockable - it will rival any intel p4 setup this side of 3ghz if you want it to. However, that motherboard is a standard atx-size board - you may well want to go smaller, in which case i would go with the asus a7n8x-vm nforce 2 m-atx board from komplett.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks James for your answer.

I'm looking at running the latest games really, got a dreamcast but from what I've seen lately, PC games are as good if not better than console games IMHO.

I would really like a small case, I think I remember seeing one by a company (shuttle?) last year, but I realise the limitation as far as MB and expansion slots are concerned. It would be good if the case didn't look like your every day PC case, ie not boring beige ;)

I think I would be looking at £1,000 tops, but I can salvage certain parts from my old PC.

60gb HD & 40GB HD(both7200), ATI radeon ??? (can't remember off the top of my head, but around 18months old). SB AWE 64 S/C, Logitech cordless KB & mouse.

Regards
    John

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    theres always the accent range:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?subcat=1

they take full size atx boards so your choices are bascially limit-less. expensive, but very nice IMO.

or this coolermaster case:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=1048

if you want to be at the front of the gaming scene, then i suggest getting an ATI r9500pro or 9700non-pro. other than that, your other parts are all usable. Also note that if you get the abit nf7-s you will get the best on-baord sound there is - easily as good as creative's audigy.

if you want smaller though, the shuttles are good proividing you get the right model. the are limited though, as you said. if you want small though, get this:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=1433

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers James for your help, its much appreciated.

Regards
    John

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I would go for a Shuttle SFF barebones system as well. If you want a small system that can still have a bit of power then these are just the ticket. I have a SK41 system myself and it will do just about anything you want it to including run any game out at the moment. On the surface they may look limited in expansion terms but they have so mutch integrated on board that in actual use they do not fall short.:smashin:

7. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen the e-style range from evesham - www.evesham.com. They look quite good and have a good reputation I beleive.