PC not booting after case replacement

GaryMo

I've just replaced my PC case which involved disconnecting everything from the mainboard. Whist I was at it I also replaced 2 x 1GB DDR2 modules with 4 x 2GB modules.

Upon trying to boot the PC for the first time nothing at all happens, nothing at all from the PSU (well the fan anyway). All I see to tell me that the mainboard is getting power is a few lit LED's.
The power button is connected correctly to the mainboard.

Anything obvious which would stop a boot-up?

namuk

Distinguished Member
Check if everything is seated ok .. then Leave just one Mem stick in and see if boots if it does add one memory stick at a time , also is there any Error beeps?

kevshed

When the push the power button - does anything happen at all... ?

i.e a short fan spin ?

1) If nothing at all - Double check the power button cable is on the right wire - i've seen people think its on when its not...... im sure you checked, but check again :)

2) Put your old memory back in and try that... just in case
3) disconnect all drives etc, so that its just the board/gfx card - remove everything else. Then try. If this works, then something you disconnect causing the issue.
4) Check for shorts - i.e. Posts in your case in incorrect positions
5) Have you connected ALL requried power connectors.... (not sure if you changed PSU)
6) Remove and Re-seat the CPU. When moving boards around, the CPU can loosen enough to stop the system powering up, depending how well it was fixed etc etc

Some pointers for you. Good luck.

GaryMo

Thanks very much - some things to go at there.

I'll wait until tomorrow before playing further as I've probably had one of the most stressful days ever (not due to this!)

namuk

Distinguished Member
Good idea:smashin: no good Diagnosing a Pc when stressed , that will do more harm than Good .

It will be Something simple that you missed ..

Michael

Double-check the power button wireing on the motherboard.
Coloured/white to +, black to earth.
Also, check the reset/led cables while you're at it, they may be preventing boot.

That is the two cables that link into something that looks like a usb header connector.

That would account for the power getting to the mobo, but the psu/hdds not starting, and the lights on the front not illuminating.

GaryMo

PSU is now powering up, as are all fans including the CPU fan.
I'm sure I can hear a little HDD activity but can't be certain.
There are no beeps at all - I used to get one beep around 5-10 seconds after powering up.
The display isn't seeing anything at allthough the GFX card is making a racket (fan). It didn't used to. I would be replacing this anyway as I doubt I could stand it too long!

What does it mean when there are no audiable beeps even though there used to be?

GaryMo

I found the problem earlier. I hadn't connected the correct power connectors on the mainboard which allowed it to power up but not go any further. There is a speaker connected but it didn't beep due to that problem.

Anyway, all working fine now :)

namuk

Distinguished Member
I found the problem earlier. I hadn't connected the correct power connectors on the mainboard which allowed it to power up but not go any further. There is a speaker connected but it didn't beep due to that problem.

Anyway, all working fine now :)
:rotfl: Told you something simple, if messing yesterday you would of thrown pc through window Being stressed out ..

Michael

Yes, you could have reseated your cpu, only to realise that it was the power cable all along.

Then realise you had no thermal paste, so had to wait 3 days for it to arrive before you could boot...:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom